PDA

View Full Version : The NEXT Done Deal Short Writing Exercise

dclary
02-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Should be what?

Am I running it? What do you think? 4th of July as a deadline? Is that enough time?

Suggestions for topics?

theblondewritr
02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
You didn't get the memo?
Harbinger's already accepted the torch.
Or at least I thought so...

I'll give it a whirl. Got no Holiday's coming up though (well except easter).

I used to go in for a short story contest that starts you off with an obscure first sentence for the contestant to complete. Stuff like...

'As soon as Susan pressed the button she realised what she'd done.'

Dunno if that works as well for scripts. Bit restrictive I guess, but I always found it interesting to see the diversity of several stories that start with the same line.
http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/images/buttons/report.gif (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/report.php?p=210420)

Kwvillen
02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Harbinger said that he was too busy to run a contest.

KWV

Hairy Lime
02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
We've had easter contests in the past. Wenonah's Easter-bunny-rapes-little-girl script still sticks out in my mind ... in an "I'm so disturbed I can't sleep" kind of way. And a "I must be a sick fvck for laughing so hard at that" kind of way.

Kwvillen
02-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Hairy Lime: We've had easter contests in the past. Wenonah's Easter-bunny-rapes-little-girl script still sticks out in my mind ... in an "I'm so disturbed I can't sleep" kind of way. And a "I must be a sick fvck for laughing so hard at that" kind of way.

:rolling: :rolling:

I LOVED wenona's short about the giant bunny taking a sh1t on her character's little girl - classic.

KWV

theblondewritr
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
lol sorry, I didn't get the memo.

Kwvillen
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I asked him in a PM and he said that he couldn't do it at this time. But I look forward to whoever else is going to host the next contest. (insert cliff hanger music). Will it be dclary? dpaterso? BTN?....

KWV

BetterThanNormal
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I'd be happy to help out anyway I can but I don't have the time to be at the forefront of running one.

As for suggestions:

1. The contest MUST be blind (see my previous posts and talk to KWV).

2. Min/max 15 pages.

3. Additional points awarded to those who vote.

4. A prize like coverage by a good reputable reader would be cool. I'll contact a few folks as soon as we agree on everything. However if this is going to happen the entrants MUST have a completed feature length screenplay ready. Otherwise the prize is wasted. If the winner does not have a script ready at the time of their win the prize goes to the next finalist, etc.

5. I liked the way CB ran the Halloween contest. The shorts were posted on his website as PDF's and taglines were posted under a separate thread. Perhaps he will be so gracious as to allow us the use of his website and his PDF resources to do the same. :)

6. An April Fools theme could prove interesting. I think the appropriate deadline could be do-able.

dclary
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I'll do it, if dpat doesn't mind.

ComicBent
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Why don't we let Dave run this one, since he wants to?

Full speed ahead, Brother Dave!

Tell us the rules, the topic/theme, or whatever you have in mind.

vig
02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
You can not give people points for voting. that's ridiculous. if you enter, vote. end of story.

vig

billythrilly7
02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm boycotting the next excercise until the independant investigation as to why I didn't win or at least place in the last one is complete.

ComicBent
02-22-2006, 10:15 AM
By "Dave" I meant dclary, of course. :)

Adam Isaac
02-22-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll play this time. Keep us posted, someone. Might not do a Easter one though...hmm...it could work though, I suppose.

BetterThanNormal
02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
My suggestion of giving votes to people for voting was offered as an incentive to get people to vote. It was based on something that dpaterso suggested as a response to the issue of non voting participants in the last contest. I'm sorry my suggestion offended you so very much.

Harbinger
02-23-2006, 11:09 PM
May 1st seems a long way away.

That's around the time Nicholl takes submissions and that's a yearly contest. There's no reason, providing the host is game, that a contest couldn't be run monthly. Can easily churn out a 10 page script in a month. A lot of short story contests are run on a monthly basis.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

dclary
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
May 1st is absolute soonest. Write it now and put it on the back burner if you need to. But with my schedule, I can't give the site the attention it needs and have everything perfect sooner than that. Trust me. The wait will be worth it.