PDA

View Full Version : Agent for a Reality TV pitch...

KindleLite
07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
My partner and I have a great idea for a reality TV show. Being green in the business of course is taboo. Can anyone offer any intelligent advice in recommending the right type of agent to target. My understanding is that literary agents handle script writers for tv show/movies. Do we also need a literary agent?

Ivylilly
07-15-2004, 05:47 PM
You don't do it through agents. It's become a highly exclusive club. There're a handful of people they want to hear from. It's never an agent. It's only who you know.

creativexec
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
There are agents who represent reality producers
and package reality shows. You wouldn't need a
lit agent (though these agents may be found in
the TV lit department).

Of course, it is no easier getting to them with a
pitch than it would be getting to a lit agent with
a screenplay.

You can call various agencies and ask who
represents reality programming. (Steve Wohl and
Mike Rizzo do it at ICM, for example.)

Realistically, if they liked it, they would pitch
it to one of their reality producer clients. If the
producer liked it, the agent would strike up a
deal between the producer and you, and let
the producer run with it - since the networks
will return their calls.

You should have a package to present (like one
would do for a sit-com pilot, for example). You
can query, but it's a longshot. It is a tough
nut to crack.

Good luck.

love2code
07-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Can we get their numbers CE?... and we're allowed to call them up and say creativexec from DoneDeal told us to call em right? :D Gonna give em a call now.

creativexec
07-15-2004, 07:19 PM
:eek

Cole Blackburn
07-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Check your message box.
Cole

KindleLite
07-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Creativexec...I can't thank you enough for the advice. It's refreshing to know that some people in the business are willing to offer genuine help without trying to take advantage.

I do have just one additional question...Can you recommend any books or other tools that will show us how to put together an effective package? You suggested the format should resemble a sit-com pilot.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Kindle

creativexec
07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
I didn't mean it should resemble a sit-com
package exactly - since they are a different
type of programming.

What I meant to say was you should have
some sort of "package" that would present
what the show is, its structure, who it will
apppeal to, the arc of the show, etcetera.
The kind of thing you can send someone,
the kind of thing you can copyright, the
kind of thing you could leave behind in a
room after you've pitched.

I don't know of any books that discuss this
sort of thing. I have seen these packages
lying around. I've never seen a specific
format to any of them.

You can invent a format that works best
for your presentation, but it should cover
all the important aspects of the show.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will
chime in.

Good luck. :D

Ivylilly
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
We pitched a reality show once. It got picked up but eventually fell apart because the host had some issues (not related to the show).

In order to even get someone to take a meeting, we had to have a showrunner come in with us (someone who's done successful reality shows), give them a full 13 episode breakdown (about 6 pages); another 2-page thing explaining who the audience is and why this show can be successful; plus present bankable attachments (our host was a very popular socialite). All that constituted the package that the studio liked. Our lit agent had no role in that. You will obviously have to split any compensation you may get with the showrunner and the split will most likely not be in your favor.

Winter in New York
07-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Reality TV is the bile of the industry. The death of drama. Puts actors out of work. Puts writers out of work. Go peddle your wares somewhere else. This is a screenwriting site. You know? That craft that actually involves writing?

F*ck I hate reality TV.

Winter in New York

Ivylilly
07-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I bet fiction writers were saying exact same thing when movies came along. Seriously though, come on! Reality TV doesn't put anyone out of work. It's a separate segment that will NEVER replace scripted programming (unless WGA eventually decides to strike). You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it has no right to exist. And there are tons of writers who make money working for reality sector which doesn't make them any better or worse than you or anyone else...

baruser
07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
come one now
reality tv is something we could relate to
its better than some of the blsh*t they put on tv these days

jimhunter99
08-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Cole,

Check your messages

Jim