Coverage: Some of my scenes are "heavy-handed"?????

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage: Some of my scenes are "heavy-handed"?????

Hi all,

I was reviewing some pro coverage I got within the last 2 years.
    and I noticed a word that was repeated often by
    the Coverage Prodivers.
    The word is "heavy-handed".
    For example, one guy said that a scene in my script was "heavy-handed".
    What does "heavy-handed" mean in terms of story sense?

Thank you.
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Coverage: Some of my scenes are "heavy-handed"?????

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    Hi all,

I was reviewing some pro coverage I got within the last 2 years.
    and I noticed a word that was repeated often by
    the Coverage Prodivers.
    The word is "heavy-handed".
    For example, one guy said that a scene in my script was "heavy-handed".
    What does "heavy-handed" mean in terms of story sense?

Thank you.

Can you give us some more context - some sentences or a paragraph where they repeat this?
    If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. - J.C.

Comment

Little subtly, obvious, forceful and I think in some cases it might be used to describe scripts that feel preachy.

Comment

They just said the scene feels "heavy-handed".
        They did not elaborate or give examples.
        You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
        Paul Harvey
        -
        -
        -

Comment

It's like when I worked in a shop and a fellow tech would always strip screws, because he had a heavy hand. Meant he always forced the screwdriver. Is the scene the reader referred to forced?

Comment

"Heavy-handed," as a general term -- writing or otherwise -- usually either means elements are overdone, or the overall work is clumsy.

If the writing is heavy-handed, the scene doesn't feel subtle or organic. It feels like the elements are placed there because they need to be there to move the story along, not because there's any kind of flow.

Usually, it's because the dialogue is too on-the-nose, or because the character's actions seem to reflect not the character but simply the fact that the writer needed that character to do that thing in that scene.

So essentially, it's the difference between watching a movie in which real people behave in a genuine and interesting way, and watching something in which someone's moving action figures around and speaking for them with lines like, "You killed my father! I'm going to shoot you now."

Not saying that your scenes are at the latter level, of course; I'm just using extreme imagery to illustrate the point. Hope it's helpful.
            The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jillybob View Post
              "You killed my father! I'm going to shoot you now."

Good one, Jill. And good explanation.

And Ben, if all your posts were as reasonable as this one, you might have a few more internet friends.

Comment

given the heavy-handed nature of your posts...I'm not surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                  given the heavy-handed nature of your posts...I'm not surprised.
                  lol.

EJ

Comment

Thanks all, and thank you Jillybob.....

But....

Let's take the movie Scarface with "Al Pacino" or some of the scenes in "Goodfellas" -- would you
                    say some of the scenes are heavy-handed?

There are some screenwriters/directors who have mastered the art of
                    OTN dialogues. And these OTN dialouges come across with vivid attitude when directed properly...

And last question -- the dialogues in The Sopranos -- are they heavy-handed?

And rap lyrics -- are they "heavy-handed"?

And dialogues in Video games -- are they too "heavy-handed"?

Is there room for "heavy-handed" scenes in this world?

How about true Mafia Guys and Crime Bosses and Thugs -- do they speak "heavy-handedly"?

Why can't we get along?

Respecfully,

Any thoughts...
                    Last edited by Ben; 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM.
                    Paul Harvey
                    -
                    -
                    -

Comment

"You killed my father! I'm going to shoot you now."

Yes, heavy-handed... unless you're in PRINCESS BRIDE.

Comment

Ich didicate diese Versetzung dem größten Master von glitschigem OTN und 'unbeholfenem' dialouges. Gehen Sie voran beleidigen mich, ich sorge mich nicht. Ich tue nicht Hälfte die Beleidigungen irgendwie.
                        Herr Tarantino ist am kühlsten.
                        Ich denke in der Welt es gibt Zimmer für die Ölfläche OTN diagloues.
                        Warum die Kritiker wie Tarantino wie Todesbeweis tat oder Bill 2 Tötete und bald Bill 3 Tötete.
                        Paul Harvey
                        -
                        -
                        -

Comment

Why don't you post one of your scenes so people can compare?

Mac
                          New blogposts:
                          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

So I can be tied to a tank and dragged down 'THE STREET WITH NO NAME' and then forced to sing the song by SLAYER -- 'WIND OF CHANGE'.

Okay, Mac. H -- I'll think about it -- posting some samples.

But this DD (post samples) -- is deadly at times.
                            Paul Harvey
                            -
                            -
                            -

Comment

Isn't Wind of Change by the Scorpions, not Slayer? sorry, I know my 80's c*ck rock.

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                              So I can be tied to a tank and dragged down 'THE STREET WITH NO NAME' and then forced to sing the song by SLAYER -- 'WIND OF CHANGE'.

Okay, Mac. H -- I'll think about it -- posting some samples.

But this DD (post samples) -- is deadly at times.
                              If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X