PDA

View Full Version : Best way to slow down bleeding from knife wound?

Juno Styles
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Anybody know the best way to stop bleeding from a knife wound to the stomach using non medical solutions? I have a character who's in a motel room, has been stabbed in the stomach and can't go to cops or hospital. He's in a time sensitive situation and needs to do something to at least slow down bleeding until gets to the next scene.

JibJib
10-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Cauterization? I remember watching The Killer with Chow Yun Fat, and he tipped out the gunpowder from a shot gun shell and lit it with a match...not sure it would work on a knife wound?

Juno Styles
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Ouch

emily blake
10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Call a teacher at a medical school. They'd probably enjoy answering that question.

TheKeenGuy
10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, certainly there's the need to apply pressure and keep it applied. Doesn't seem like elevating the wound above the heart is doable in that kind of circumstance, unless your protag can accomplish a lot while doing handstands. An effort to keep your heart rate down could help.

Knaight
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd pack the wound with a clean, absorbent material, then duct tape a bandage over it. Afterward, I'd apply ice to shrink the blood vessels and slow the bleeding. I have no idea how well that'd work.

Biohazard
10-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd pack the wound with a clean, absorbent material, then duct tape a bandage over it.

I don't think that would be a good idea since it prohibits you using additional bandages on top of what you have already without disrupting the wound by removing the tape.

I was taught in first aid to apply more bandages directly over the bloody ones if a heavily bleeding wound does not stop.

cshel
10-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Ditto Knaight.

Supposedly those kinds of wounds are incredibly painful, especially if they're deep. He probably wouldn't even notice the pain of lit gunpowder on the wound. :eek: But even if you stopped the bleeding on the outside, there would still be internal bleeding you couldn't control.

Just do the Hollywood deal where the guy gets shot, stabbed, run over, etc., and still carries on to do amazing feats of daring-do, just stopping to grimace every now and again. :p

gravitas
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Tampons. [seriously]

ihavebiglips
10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
In the military they taught us to literally stick your fingers into the wound to stop the bleeding if you don't have any dressing available or can't easily tourniquet the wound (like a stomach wound).

Gruesome, but a pretty cool move for a character in a movie - especially if they have had some sort of training.

instant_karma
10-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Stop the heart to prevent the pumping of blood.

Richmond Weems
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Stop the heart to prevent the pumping of blood.

FAAAAAAAAAAN-TASTIC!!:rolling:

HH

Geoff Alexander
10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Anybody know the best way to stop bleeding from a knife wound to the stomach using non medical solutions? I have a character who's in a motel room, has been stabbed in the stomach and can't go to cops or hospital. He's in a time sensitive situation and needs to do something to at least slow down bleeding until gets to the next scene.

superglue the edges of the wound shut.

Knaight
10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
In the military they taught us to literally stick your fingers into the wound to stop the bleeding if you don't have any dressing available or can't easily tourniquet the wound (like a stomach wound).

Gruesome, but a pretty cool move for a character in a movie - especially if they have had some sort of training.

This is freakin' awesome. Someone put this in a movie. Now.

ihavebiglips
10-11-2010, 06:36 PM

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it because it's in a script of ours', but **** it. I challenge any of you to use it better than my bro and I did!:bounce:

SuperScribe
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
You asked for it.

Only my character's not going to use his fingers. :eek:

Telly
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
You asked for it.

THIS.

Juno Styles
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
u guys are awesome. thanks for the suggestions/ideas. :cool:

Richmond Weems
10-11-2010, 08:20 PM

It was used in Black Hawk Down.

HH

Knaight
10-11-2010, 08:32 PM
It was used in Black Hawk Down.

HH

No one remembers that movie, anyway. I have lips' permission to use it, so I think I just may... :devil:

one seven spectrum
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Stuff the bleeding wound with the stem of a fallen sunflower from the vase that smashed during the scuffle....just playing.

Ummm why not seal it with a hot poker? I hear that does the trick.

Richmond Weems
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
No one remembers that movie, anyway. I have lips' permission to use it, so I think I just may... :devil:

Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, just pointing out that it has been used before. Nothing new under the sun and all that.

HH

Southern_land
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Okay there's this stuff they're been advertising on the radio made from crushed shrimp shells that will clot anything from a nicked finger right up to arterial bleeding... only I can't recall the name...

obviously not a good ad:o

guess this is the stuff http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2006/09/29/176965.aspx

the stuff on sale here comes as a powder sprinkle into the wounds and as an impregnated bandage, (wrap of fill the wound)
________
Vaporite Deluxe Vaporizer Review (http://vaporizer.org)

Biohazard
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
You asked for it.

:rolling:

Good thing I wasn't taking a sip when I read that. :love:

A boss I used to have actually did this to himself. It didn't work out as well as you would think.

NikeeGoddess
10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Tampons. [seriously]
well, i was thinking maxi pads but both of these products are made to absorb blood... so NO! but it is humorous.

so my best guess adding to the list is liquid band aid to close up the skin.

also know this -- if the guy is dehydrated from walking in the desert all day or something... it won't bleed as much... until he drinks.

gravitas
10-12-2010, 07:08 PM
well, i was thinking maxi pads but both of these products are made to absorb blood... so NO! but it is humorous.

so my best guess adding to the list is liquid band aid to close up the skin.

also know this -- if the guy is dehydrated from walking in the desert all day or something... it won't bleed as much... until he drinks.

Contingent upon how gaping the wound is, you may literally stick a tampon in there. A lot of soldiers carry them with them. External you can stop with compression but inserting into the wound helps stop internal bleeding as it soaks up the red. If I was writing a scene and a guy gets stabbed in a motel, I'd have him break into the apartment next door, or do the vending machine thing, but a tampon and duct tape would feel real/possible to me. The dehydration is a good point and something to consider too.

ProBono Writer
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM

I saw this in "Dog Soldiers". A guy was basically disembowled, then they used superglue to put him together. I thought it was BS that he had a full recovery, but it worked because he actually recovered because he became a werewolf.

nic.h
10-12-2010, 11:11 PM
You should PM Comic Bent. He's an ER doctor. Or a doctor, anyway, who often works in the ER.

He'd be able to confirm what would / wouldn't work.

Nic

cshel
10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Simply closing the exterior of anything more than a surface wound, or sticking something in it, won't stop the internal bleeding. Plus, he's alone in a motel room and won't be going to shop at RiteAid for tampons, pads, superglue, or magical powder. If the stabbed guy had a medical background and could figure out where he was bleeding from, he could try to clamp it with his own fingers or a sparkly hair barrette, but it would be slippery and difficult to see with all the blood. Plus, you can't get much else done when you're clamping off the bleeding from your own gut with your own hand.

I say, pick one way and go all out. Either worry about being completely realistic, or take full dramatic license and do something truly unique and gnarly as hell.