PDA

View Full Version : Font density too thick on Final Draft...

E J Pennypacker
09-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Is it possible to reduce the thickness, or density of the font on Final Draft? When I seem to print out pages, the words seem to appear in bold, even though they are not. Is there a method to make the words appear more slim?

EJ

filmcarver
09-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Final Draft has regular, and then switched to Final Draft Heavy in version 6.0. It was yielding too many pages, so I switched to the Corel 10 BT which looks just right in my opinion. The FD Heavy letters had a squashed look to me.

Just type that name in google with "download" and it should pop up on some page somewhere for free. You may have to set your spacing to tight or very tight depending on what page yield you are looking for.

UserName
09-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Here's another couple fonts to try out...

www.neosoft.com/~bmiller/courier.htm (http://www.neosoft.com/~bmiller/courier.htm)

E J Pennypacker
09-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks to both of you for replies.

It might be worthy of mentioning I have FD v5. I thought that maybe a printer setting could sort out this problem. But I've yet to find the function.

I looked for Coral BT 10 download, but couldn't find one. Does FD v5 allow you to import forgein fonts?

EJ

UserName
09-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Actually, Corel 10BT is the same as Courier 10BT (available at the link above).

RKBentley
09-23-2003, 10:52 AM
You could always lower your printer settings from high end to draft. That should lower the ammount of black the text looks like. Been using FD6 with a laser printer for a while and the font density looked fine....

E J Pennypacker
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
User -- Ack. Sorry bout that.

RK -- I will give it a go.

EJ

Deus Ex Machine
09-23-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't know about FD, but Scriptware allows you to set the darkness of the printing. If FD doesn't have this feature, you could try your printer settings as was suggested and switch to Draft output. FD may even have this feature in it as MS Word does.

UserName
09-23-2003, 03:49 PM
EJ, no need to apologize. Just wanted to let you know they're the same.

ComicBent
09-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Pennypacker,

A couple of comments or questions here.

1: If you are using the Final Draft version of Courier, check to see if it is Courier Final Draft or Final Draft Heavy. The 'heavy' version could be your problem, since it looks sort of bold to me, though it is still not as dark as a truly bold font.

2: There is no way to control the print density in Final Draft 5, as far as I could determine earlier today when I looked again, though I was pretty sure already that you could not.

3. The Courier 10BT font is a really great font for printing your scripts. If you use it in Final Draft 5, you will find that the line spacing is different from that of Courier Final Draft. Here is what I recommend. If you use Courier 10BT, modify the line spacing in Final Draft by using DOCUMENT/PAGE LAYOUT/OPTIONS. Select either 'Tight' or 'Very Tight' line spacing. 'Tight' produces 5.5 lines per vertical inch; 'very tight' produces 6 lines per vertical inch — on my LaserJet 6MP printer. The 6 lines per inch is the technical standard (equal to what the Courier Final Draft font gives with 'normal' line spacing); but 5.5 looks a little neater and makes a minimal amount of difference.

Buzz74
09-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Just to come at this from a different angle- are we talking about inkjet printing?

I've found my old inkjet is fine- but that you pretty much have to print in Draft mode or else the font gets smudgy, which is a symptom of how thick it the print is.

I guess one might infer this is Inkjet- or bubblejet if it's not laser, but i wasn't sure.

-Buzz

E J Pennypacker
09-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks again for the info people. Yes, Im working on an inkjet printer. I adjusted the printer today to econfast setting, regarding print quality, and it seemed to make it somewhat slimmer, which is an improvement. It also sped up the printer per page time dramatically.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out when I can and report back.

EJ

filmcarver
09-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I did exactly what ComicBent said. I use the corel courier BT 10 set on "very tight" and that gives me the page yield at 6 lines/inch.

IMO it has the perfect balance, it looks dark on the page making the read a breeze, but does not look like bold type.

ComicBent
09-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks, filmcarver. Somebody finally took my advice on something! :)

By the way, if any font does not look good on screen (sometimes the Corel 10BT does not), you can always use Courier New for writing the screenplay (with normal line spacing); then you can change the settings for font and line spacing when you get ready to print.

The most efficient thing to do, if the screen display is not good, is to create a separate set of "elements" (or "stationery") to use when you decide to print. For example, you might have one called SCRNPLAY-10BT.fdr for printing.

However, Corel 10BT displays all right in Final Draft on my system.