PDA

View Full Version : Best time for morning meetings?

kidcharlemagne
06-06-2005, 06:31 AM
For those of you who meet regularly with prod. co's:

When booking morning meetings with DOD's/Production VP's etc is 9:30 a.m. too early? or would you say 10:00 a.m. is the better time to suggest a morning meeting?

It seems like the assistants come in earlier and prepare the info for the exec's and I guess they need some time to scan emails etc before starting meetings?

I've always gone for 10:00 a.m. but maybe people are willing to meet earlier, even at 9:00 a.m.?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thnx in advance.

KC

Jake Schuster
06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
I'd aim for after 10, Kid. They need to have their coffee, return forgotten phone calls, leaf through the trades; and those old enough to have children may be delayed when dropping kids off at school. I've always found my afternoon meetings more productive than my morning ones.

santino2699
06-06-2005, 08:46 AM
In a related question....what if you're not meeting at the agency?
And having lunch somewhere instead. What is the etiquette for who picks up the check. Is it okay to offer to pick it up, or is it better to just split the bill?

S

Jake Schuster
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I think for any professional meeting, whether with an agent or prospective agent, editor or development executive, if they've called the meeting, they pay the bill. For them it's a business expense. For you, it's also a tax write-off, but they're used to it.

If it makes you feel better, offer to pay the tip. If they agree at once, you've lost the deal. :o

kidcharlemagne
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Jake!

Ravenlocks
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Best time for morning meetings?
Sometime before noon...

:p

odriftwood
06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
The best time to take a meeting is the same as the best time to make love to a woman.... WHEN THEY'RE READY...

In other words, every office is different. Ask them what works for them then be available....

Joe Unidos
06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
You're higher up on the totem pole than me. I've only ever been told a time.

GreatOz
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
You're higher up on the totem pole than me. I've only ever been told a time.

Yeah, me too. And that time is often changed at the last minute, so give them a number where they can reach you.

I've always been told by my manager that Mondays are bad days for meetings, because the execs are coming in from reading scripts all weekend and it's a big internal meeting day. But every day is busy. They tend to work late and come in late.

kidcharlemagne
06-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys - well ten out of 20 are 'fixed' already and they are mostly from 11:00 a.m. onwards. One of them opted for a 10:00 a.m.

Sure, I know about the re-scheduling. It happens every time I have meetings in LA. I'll be ready for the call from the assistant on Monday morning, a major pain in the butt when you have a lot of meetings in a short period of time.

I'm trying as best I can to group the meetings around location e.g. have the Burbank meets in one day which will be great if they don't re-schedule and a major pain if they do because of distance/traffic.

Cheers

KC