PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Done Deal Contest

RRStroud
07-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Okay, guys, this forum is just sitting here, basically inactive.

We haven't had a "short feature" contest in a long while.

What do you say we have one?

Any subject, any genre, original work, 15 pages max. (The script formatting is kind of sucky on this board, compared to the EZ-Board, but don't worry about that. Just post.)

I thought maybe a max of 15 pages might give people a little more flexibility. A short does not have to be a one-reeler. But a seven-page entry is still cool, too! :)

Forget about saleability. The motivation is "What I would like to see in a short film."

All scripts are due on the board before Labor Day. Post as soon as you would like.

This is a proposal. Anybody interested?

The Prize: Recognition by one's peers. (Yeah, that is important, too!)

Ray

Ravenlocks
07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
There should be a general theme or topic, IMO. Something to get the creative juices flowing.

I'm wondering who will be the first to suggest "What I Did Over My Summer Vacation." :p

RRStroud
07-14-2005, 10:10 AM
I think we should keep the theme/topic open, the way most contests do. That way we don't exclude anybody who does not want to write horror, comedy, mystery, etc.

dpaterso
07-14-2005, 10:15 AM
What is "Labor Day"? Something to do with hospital maternity wards?

-Derek
Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity. (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/DPaterson57/scripts.htm)

vig
07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
labor day is us americans way of basking in the sun as our overpaid, under qualified asses graze on the beaches of america.

vig

dpaterso
07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Does it fall upon any particular day in any particular month?

-Derek
Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity. (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/DPaterson57/scripts.htm)

cmmora
07-14-2005, 02:03 PM
The first Monday of September. This year it falls on September 5th.

Ravenlocks
07-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Labor Day is the first Monday in September, or something like that. It's the day we celebrate work by not working. It's also traditionally the last day before school starts, although many schools now commit heresy and start at the end of August.

Ravenlocks
07-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I think we should keep the theme/topic open, the way most contests do. That way we don't exclude anybody who does not want to write horror, comedy, mystery, etc.
Count me out then (although I did say theme/topic, not genre). Given a general theme or topic I might've come up with a slant, but I don't have the time or creativity to spare from my other script to come up with a topic on my own.

Now if somebody wants to pay me, then I will.

:p

prescribe22
07-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Raven, why don't you just pretend it's a summer theme. ;)

Hairy Lime
07-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Giving the contest a theme doesn't restrict genre. In the Halloween contests there were horror, sci-fi, thriller, drama, and comedy. Likewise in the Pizza contest.

dclary
07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Raven, the theme is: "What I'd like to see a 15 minute short film about"

Stroud, am I to assume that this 15-pager needs to be a complete work then, not a snippet or montage of a larger work?

RRStroud
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Anybody interested?

You have about six weeks for this project.

Edit to answer Dave Clary: I think submitting a snippet would be fine, just as long as it sort of stands on its own (it won't do that entirely, I know, but I think you understand what I mean: something like a setup would be okay).

Let's give it a try!

dclary
07-14-2005, 05:40 PM
:|

dpaterso
07-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, why not an opening sequence, the vital pages that must grab the reader by the throat and not let go!

Six weeks to write 15 pages?! Whew, talk about time constraints! Let me lie down for a moment and try to deal with the pressure.

Are we honor-bound to limit ourselves to write less than half a page per day, or can we write all 15 pages in the one sitting? <innocently>

-Derek

tabula rasa
07-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Sounds cool. How about (and here, I invite the crazed verbal dismays and attack of all DD members:eek: ) ... a $1 entry fee? (Mailed to the too-pure-to-distrust mod?)

Cheap to play, but then the winner might end up with a few hundred $$$, yes? Heeeyaaaa .... $$$ makes the creative juices run down yer thigh, don't it?!?

Eternal fame would be assured by giving the winning script an eternal thread atop the DD forums list?

I dunno, just throwing out ideas. Sounds fun though.

Who'd decide the winning entry?

I be newbie ... Has this been done before?

ADDED IN EDIT: Well, there's a big difference between "a snippet that stands on its own" versus "the first fifteen pages to grab ya" etc ... (the challenge for me, IMO, usually ends up trying to craft a complete arc that works, start/middle/ending)

I'd vote for either a complete story, or a part that is expected to stand on its own.

Just a set up ... well, starting is easy, finishing be hardship (a joy of conception, pain of delivery thing). But I genuflect to the will of the majority.

cmmora
07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
This sounds cool. I vote for a complete stand-alone story (Beg, middle and End). If it is decided to allow set up's, hopefully complete arcs will also be allowed.

If these two are allowed, hopefully, the judges will take into account that these two forms are somewhat different and that the judging should take this into consideration when comparing the two different types of shorts.

RRStroud
07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Okay, still developing the concept here ... Your feedback is really helpful, so keep it coming.

First of all, we WILL do something. :) We just need to nail down some rules.

I think the guiding principle should be that we want as many people as possible to submit some pages. For that reason, I think we should be fairly flexible about subject and length. I think most would agree that quality always stands out. A really well-crafted eight-page short will outshine someone's humdrum fifteen-page setup, but a really solid setup would beat out a contrived short.

So ... Do you want to open the contest to shorts and setups? Or limit it to one of these only?

If you really want a theme, I can buy into that, too. But I am not going to try to come up with one (holidays like Halloween and Christmas work all right, but it is hard to come up with other themes that are not too restrictive). Still, if you want one, we can do that.

By the way, we cannot have an entry fee. That just makes things too complicated.

We will probably just have people vote, in a few weeks, on a first-, second-, and third-place winner. I would prefer that to having judges per se, one reason being that I would like to enter this thing myself and do not intend to be a judge.

Let's hear from you guys. Even if you do not plan to enter, but you would read some entries, your thoughts are welcome.

Ray

prescribe22
07-15-2005, 02:26 PM
So ... Do you want to open the contest to shorts and setups? Or limit it to one of these only?

I'm for allowing both.

No theme.

vig
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
i think what is fair for all of us is announce the winner as writepro and admit we are only playing for second place if he enters. i don't want to put possibly days or weeks on the line when i have to compete against him.

don't waste my time/
vig

RRStroud
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
So Vig is out. Don't know about WritePro yet.

But I suspect that many others will be interested.

vig
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
you think you're so smart moderator. wait, wait and see what writepro creates and from there on in you will struggle with trying to be better than him.

you will slowly go mad.

vig-scarecrow

tabula rasa
07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
What?! NO MONEY?!

How can we practice being Hollywood Whores and not have money involved?!

You should at least PROMISE us money, and then welch on the deal! Now THAT'S Hollywood 101 !!! :)

I'd vote for complete scripts. It's easy to start a story wham bam ... if you don't hafta worry about where it goes after page 15.

Okay, maybe it's not 'easy' ... but it's apples versus oranges.

It should be one OR the other, anyways IMO. Then we all know what mode to be in.

RRStroud
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Other opinions?

If we DO limit submissions to "complete" scripts (i.e., shorts), do you want to extend the page limit to 20 pages? That way, the writer can think in terms of a half-hour comedy or drama (with commercials, you know, 20 pages would probably be about right for a half-hour program).

Shorts only? 10 page max? 15? 20 page max?

Setups allowed?

Other opinions? I know lots of you are lurking out there.

Ray

Bob
07-16-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm not lurking...I'm reading.

If I were to be involved, and I'm not saying that I will be, or that I won't be, but if I were to be involved I would want everyone to have to tell a complete story in a set number of pages. Not too many pages, because I can't spend all of my time lurk...reading here.

And I would hope "pros" would participate in the contest. Reading their stories would be an invaluable help to those of us who don't know what the flock we are doing.

There, I stopped...reading...and actually wrote something.

Bob

prescribe22
07-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm planning on using a complete short, so I guess I'm for that. But I don't I don't mind opening it up to setups, too.

As far as page count goes, I was content with 15 pages, but I would rather have 20.

Charli
07-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Dang, 15 pages is a lot. How about half that? Easier to read, more of a
challenge. I say there should at least be some kind of theme, location
setting, or conflict challenge like, escape from a zoo on fire (okay, so
that's all I could think of this early in the morning).

I dunno, just a suggestion, but 15 pages is a lot for each user to post
on these boards.

Charli

RRStroud
07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
The way it looks so far, there are not going to be that many people involved, anyway.

But I had not considered the amount of space on the board that this could theoretically demand. If that is a problem, maybe we should greatly modify the plan or scrap the idea entirely.

Maybe we should think in terms of something shorter, as in the former contests.

Maybe, too, with this being summer and people not seeming to be all that interested, we should just wait about this and let the Halloween contest be the next one.

Thoughts?

prescribe22
07-17-2005, 01:06 PM
If length is a problem on the board, we can just put each story up as a PDF on a Geocities site and post the individual file links on corresponding story threads.

As far as the lack of enthusiasm, I think that as the first entrants trickle in, the competitive juices will get going for others and we'll get a decent # of applicants by the deadline.

My thoughts.

wenonah
07-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Well sh!t you guys know how to bring me home, don'tcha? If it weren't for the fact that the NYC midnight madness short competition was coming up, I might even participate in this little venture. ;-)

*sigh*

wenonah

RRStroud
07-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Wenonah, I was wondering where you were!

Glad to see you around again. If you find that you can participate in any way, that would be great!

Prescribe, I was already thinking along the same lines. I have a web site that allows 2G, so we could probably just use it for scripts and have the links and discussions and voting, etc., here on DD.

The site is not up yet (I mean nothing is there!), though I own it. I will get it up in a few days (I am about through with my basic homepage, which had nothing to do with this contest).

I will get back to you on this sometime during the week. I would probably just set up a special email address for you to send scripts to by e-mail attachment, and then I would post them in a folder for download.

I think it would be good to post, say, a 2 or 3 page teaser here on DD, with a link to the PDF download.

I could also help anyone who does not have PDF capability.

Let's tentatively think, then, of a contest permitting a short or a setup (max of 20 pages). Yeah, it's apples and oranges, but so what? There is no entry fee, and it is a chance for folks to show what they can do.

dpaterso
07-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Idea #1:

Assign a contest Administrator (volunteers take one step backwards!).

Participants email their entries to the Administrator.

Administrator STRIPS OUT AUTHOR DETAILS and keeps these in a private author/title index file.

Administrator posts anonymous entries.

Participants read and vote without knowing whose pages they're voting for.

-Derek

cmmora
07-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Idea #1:

Administrator STRIPS OUT AUTHOR DETAILS and keeps these in a private author/title index file.

Administrator posts anonymous entries.

Participants read and vote without knowing whose pages they're voting for.

This is an excellent idea. This will hopefully prevent a bias for or against a writer.

vmf
07-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Count me out then (although I did say theme/topic, not genre). Given a general theme or topic I might've come up with a slant, but I don't have the time or creativity to spare from my other script to come up with a topic on my own.

Yeah, 15 page entries with no theme, no topic, no genre, and NO PRIZES?

Gee, where do I sign up. :rolleyes:

Hairy Lime
07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd vote for:

10 page limit. Film festivals love the 10 minute short film, so why not cater to them and, as such, filmmakers who might find these shorts and want to make one of them? Maybe allow a buffer up to 12 pages, but I think 15 is too many.

Complete short scripts. No set-ups for features.

Anonymous submission. Wenonah is the undisputed short script queen. If any of us have a chance with this, we need to mask her entry.

prescribe22
07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I like the anonymous method. We were probably going to have to have on person posting the threads anyway since it looks like the script are going to be posted as links to PDFs.

RRStroud:

If you upload the scripts on your site, are you okay with posting the threads? If not, I'll do it. I have a site I can post the scripts on, so we're good there.

My thinking was that we'll post a separate thread for each entry. The intial post in each would contain:

1) Title
2) Genre
3) Logline

Everyone would just email their submission as an attachment with the above info listed in the body of the email, along with their DD username so the winner can recieve his/her just deserts.

As far as the lenghth goes, I don't see the issue with a 15 page *max*. It's not the minimum. If someone wants to post a 7 pager, then great. Honestly, a boring 15 pager is going to lose to a quality 7 pager no matter what. It's the writer's peril, not the readers. The reader can stop reading after page 5 if they're not interested.

My thoughts

wenonah
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I felt this strange stirring in my belly... I thought perhaps it was those deviled eggs from the grocery deli department (yes, I ate all six halves) but then, just on a hunch, I came into this thread and I knew ... I had been personally challenged. :D (hairy, you're trying to detract my attention from something else, aren't you? you know that shorts dangled in my face is like a shiny bright object to a cockateil)

I would be up for it if there were a theme, any freaking theme will do. "Go write a short" makes me feel kinda 'bla' :eek: just my opinion tho.

wenonah

prescribe22
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Well the story I had in mind takes place in Napoleonic France. So anyone down for a Napoleonic France theme?

:confused:

RRStroud
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Okay, we've had a good bit of feedback about length, and short vs. setup, and a good suggestion about concealing the name of the author.

Does anybody want to suggest some themes, so we can choose one, if that is what we want to do?

Wenonah, I really hope you will get involved in this in some capacity.

Ray

JesseNC
07-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Chiming in -- I'd probably participate in this. Shorts are good excersise. I can only find time for probably a 10 pager though if it's just for fun.

dpaterso
07-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Theme/topic suggestion -- when the contest starts everyone goes to a specific website (open to suggestions... something like http://www.forteantimes.com/ perhaps?) and reads news articles or similar, then writes a story based on whatever they find there.

-Derek

cmmora
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
If we ultimately decide on predetermined themes can we also have the option to come up with our own themes? This way, if the chosen themes are not to our liking, we could choose our on.

prescribe22
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
How about "Historical Personality" as a theme. You must write a story that somehow invovles a person of historical significance. Any person at any time in history. Alive or dead. From Bush Jr. to the guy who actually invented the wheel.

It could be anything from a kid on a quest to track down a lost Jackie Robinson baseball card to a zany comedy about two Beavis and Butthead like Marines who accidentally get separated from their division during WWII and wind up walking into Germany where they are hired as servants at Hitler's Eagle Nest.

I also like Derek's idea.

Fortean
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM
...open to suggestions... something like http://www.forteantimes.com/ perhaps?Tempt them, will you?

If you want a Fortean theme, you'll find his iconoclastic books and his humourous short stories at my website (http://www.resologist.net/). However, be advised that I've already adapted "The Marooned Campers," "A Floral Hold-Up," "Fryhuysen's Colony," and "The Outcast Manufacturers," (the latter is nearly complete and needs polishing), into screenplays.

Hairy Lime
07-19-2005, 02:01 PM
These aren't themes, people. Cripes.

dpaterso
07-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Well jeez don't just sit there shaking your head, suggest themes.

How basic or how complex should these themes be?

Which is more effective anyway, general themes (e.g. Betrayal) or semi-specific story topics (e.g. a bank heist goes wrong when one of the team double-crosses the others)? My limited experience points to the latter.

Stop scowling and contribute to the damn discussion.

-Derek

wleonard89
07-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I'd be up for getting involved too. Haven't thought of a theme yet.

Also, I'd certainly be willing to chip in a couple bucks for a gift certificate to the Writer's Store or something like that. If everyone who entered did that, we'd have enough to pick up a book or something. Maybe the administrator could manage it, but might add a layer of complexity that just isn't worth it. I'm cool just doing it for fun too.

prescribe22
07-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Sorry, Hairy, for mis-representing the word "theme". I should have used "topic".

In any event, my topic is still out there along with Derek's. If there are better topics and/or themes, let's here 'em. Or I say we rock/paper/scissors this thing and get started.

:cool:

RRStroud
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
If people do indeed want a topic or guide of some kind, I sort of like Prescribe's "historical personality" angle. You don't necessarily write about the famous person, but he/she is involved somehow.

I also like the idea of anonymity of authorship when the piece is posted.

Thoughts?

just_hiltz
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Well, this sounds interesting. I'm going to the Expo4 and I need practice. This is my first post and, with your indulgence, I think the historical figure idea is broad enough to yield some interesting material. When do we decide how this process is to be played out?

Hairy Lime
07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Trouble with choosing a genre (period piece) is that you're alienating those writers who have no interest or inclination to write in that genre. In the past we've had holiday related themes and there have been some remarkably clever scripts, many only tangentially related to the holiday. Donald Gregory's pizza short contest was another example. Had to do with pizza, but everyone had a vastly different take on it. Obviously, pizza isn't a theme, but you get the point. Broad topic area.

The 24 or 48 hr. short script and short film contests do give you a rather limited plot - someone loses a quarter and has to find it again. However, that's to keep people from using a shelved script and represent it as completely new. Given that this is an exercise, rather than a contest with large cash prizes, I don't think we need to worry about that as much. If someone uses a shelved script, they're only hurting themselves by not getting more practice.

It's summertime, so here are a few choices:

ice
beach
vacation
school's out
summer camp
heat wave
ice cream
sailing
BBQ

wenonah
07-22-2005, 08:45 AM
ditto what hairy said.

... and I like all those summer themes :D

w

Tig
07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I also like the idea of anonymity of authorship when the piece is posted.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I think anonymity is a necessity for others to get involved.

I've seen some pretty cruddy winners here just because of not having anonymity and the bias presented by this. So that in itself has alienated others not to participate which might be why only a few participate in these things.

Tig

prescribe22
07-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Trouble with choosing a genre (period piece) is that you're alienating those writers who have no interest or inclination to write in that genre.

I am not entering a previously written piece, and I haven't seen anyone else suggest they were either, so I have no idea where on earth you came up with that worry.

The historical figure idea is not a genre piece, nor is it a period piece. You can pick anyone from present to past. It can be set at any time, and it can be any genre. The figure of historical significance doesn't even have to appear as a character in the piece.

One of the examples I gave was a kid in present time trying to find a lost Jackie Robinson baseball card. Another example would be a modern politician being helped with a crucial debate by ghosts of Presidents past. The options are only limited to the author's imagination.

But if you want to do a summer theme, then great. I don't care. But, I don't seen how "ice cream" is any different than a historical figure.

wenonah
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Um... I thought 'historical figure' was a fine idea too... :) I honestly don't care what the theme/idea/topic is, I just think it's fun to come up with pieces within a certain frame. I also like the anonymous aspect of it because I like to be surprised by who comes up with what. I still haven't decided if I'm going to play - the NYC midnight madness short competition starts tonight at midnight, so I'll be working on that for the next week, but these exercises has been one of my favorite parts of this board.

wenonah

dpaterso
07-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Excellent ideas and points, everyone (even the apparent conflict of ideas and approach gives rise to more story ideas). Dare I suggest there are enough theme or topic suggestions in this thread to allow things to proceed apace? How long until the darn contest begins?! Sheesh.

Question about the voting if it's not too premature:

Do we only vote for the one entry we liked best, or do we vote 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, a "top three"? If votes are point-weighted (e.g. 1st place=3 points, 2nd=2 points, 3rd=1 point) the results are likely to give a far more accurate representation of reader sentiment -- a fairer spread, if you will. Whereas only voting for one entry each could produce maverick results, with a "winner" earning a very small minority handful of votes.

As you'll note from the above, an entry that earns four 3rd place votes (total 4 points) could beat an entry that earns only one 1st place vote (3 points). The logic being, it's probably more significant that 4 people liked the entry enough to vote for it, than just one person liked it lots.

No hassle intended, just askin'.

-Derek

Hairy Lime
07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
I am not entering a previously written piece, and I haven't seen anyone else suggest they were either, so I have no idea where on earth you came up with that worry.

The historical figure idea is not a genre piece, nor is it a period piece. You can pick anyone from present to past. It can be set at any time, and it can be any genre. The figure of historical significance doesn't even have to appear as a character in the piece.

One of the examples I gave was a kid in present time trying to find a lost Jackie Robinson baseball card. Another example would be a modern politician being helped with a crucial debate by ghosts of Presidents past. The options are only limited to the author's imagination.

But if you want to do a summer theme, then great. I don't care. But, I don't seen how "ice cream" is any different than a historical figure.I'm not sure how you got "previously written piece" out of the quote you listed. Here's the thing with historical figures. The nice thing about short scripts is that you can actually go out and film them - or give them to someone who will. It's a nice way to get involved in film production without having to sell a spec to a studio.

The short script I wrote for Donald Gregory's pizza contest was filmed last month in NY after winning a short script contest held by some savvy young filmmakers who realized that'd be the best way to find a good short film to make. Later this year I'm directing a short script that began as one of wenonah's Halloween short-shorts on this website. We rewrote it together to expand it out to 10 minutes.

If I had to try to make this short with a likeness of Jackie Robinson or George W. Bush or Ghandi, it'd be a hell of a lot harder to do, and probably unfilmable with the average short script budget. And you also have the issues of rights if the historical figure and/or estate still exists. So at the end of a historical figure short script contest, we'll have three dozen short scripts that essentially can't get made. At the end of the ice cream contest, we'll have three dozen short scripts that can get made so long as the propmaster brings a freezer.

RRStroud
07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Summer themes ... All right, how about saying that the topic will be a summer picnic, which can include barbecue, ice cream, heat wave, and the whole schmier?

Lots of opportunity there, I think.

Comments?

AaronB
07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Make it broader than that. Just make the theme "summer." It could be set in the summer, or it could be about children in February daydreaming about summer, or it could be about how canned peaches taste like summer...but summer's got to be in there somehow.

I'd like to be counted in, BTW.

prescribe22
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Just plain old "summer" works for me.

AaronB
07-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Thinking of summer makes me think of Ray Bradbury short stories, or "Sandlot." Who's going to take charge of administering the contest?

tabula rasa
07-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Just plain old "summer" works for me.

'Summertime, and the livin' is easy ...
Daddy's rich, and Momma's good-lookin' ...

But as for the @!#*?! heat index, heat and humidity combined, yesterday it was more miserable here than it was in either Baghdad or Kuwait. :mad: It was like 114 F (and the "F" was frakkin' appropriate)

Yeah, I can try hot summer heat as a theme, cause 'I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it' ...

ComicBent
07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Please see the "Sticky/Pinned" thread at the top of this forum. It relates to our contest.

I will keep that thread pinned and locked, to be used for the contest. Check it out.

Yes, I finally put out an announcement. :o

ComicBent
08-01-2005, 01:28 PM
:) :) :)

The "End of Summer" contest is only about 24 hours old, and already I have had TWO submissions from you guys (one submission each from two different authors).

Wonderful!

I am keeping a careful record of everything in an Excel spreadsheet. Everyone will be kept anonymous. (I am also checking all the info in the PDF file to make sure that it does not contain any evidence as to who you are, like names, addresses. I can strip all of that out of the PDF.)

I have already prepared the 2-3 page teasers from these two scripts. Remember, though, that I will not post any teasers till August 15 (just two weeks, so be patient!). Then you will still have till September 5 to submit your scripts.

I know it would "prime the pump" for submissions if I were to put up some teasers sooner, but I would prefer to wait till August 15, closer to the deadline.

My plan is to upload the PDF files to my website later. I have already tested this out, and it works just fine. I will make the PDF files available on August 15 when I post the teasers.

Yee-haw! This is fun. I think this will be a good contest, folks. I really like the anonymity idea. Whoever it was that came up with that ... Thanks!

Keep the scripts coming.

ComicBent
08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Is everybody writing? :)

tabula rasa
08-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Forgive me if I've missed reading this somewhere (but perhaps repeating it will emphasize it for the (or "a") thick-skulled such as moi self) ...

Was it decided whether these are to be COMPLETE stand-by-themselves stories, beginning-middle-end ... or opening scenes to longer screenplays? Or can it be either?

Again, apologies if it was stated and I missed it.

ComicBent
08-04-2005, 10:17 AM
A: Complete script. I never really said. However, since some people wanted the length limited to no more than twelve pages, I assumed everyone would take that to mean a "complete" script. So that is what it will be. Of course, "complete" is a matter of definition. How many times have I watched a film and then said, "That's the end?" So if you have a setup that stands on its own, you might want to submit it.

EDIT: I added your question to the Addendum to the Rules.

dodo1
08-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I started writing my script today and I'm very excited about taking part in your contest. Hope the script won't get too bad :)

ComicBent
08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Dominik, it's great to have you on board.

In just nine more days I will post all the teasers, with links to the full script.

AaronB
08-09-2005, 09:04 AM
So how are the entries shaping up, CB? Do we have enough to make it a horse race?

ComicBent
08-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Right now we only have two. I think that will change once I post the teasers on August 15, after which people will still have plenty of time to write a script.

The teasers will generate interest, I think.

Remember, the first teasers go up in just six days!

cmmora
08-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I didn't notice if it was mentioned before, but are multiple entries allowed? I have two shorts that I am planning on entering. Just doing the final polish on both scripts.

ComicBent
08-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes, multiple entries are allowed.

So send 'em in! :)

ComicBent
08-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Okay, gang, I have posted the teasers a few days early. I put them into the "End of Summer" Script Contest thread (the "Rules" sticky thread at the top of this forum):

http://scriptsales.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11811

I have unlocked that thread. Post all your comments about the scripts there, not in this thread.

You may comment all you want on the teasers and on the complete scripts. (Originally we were going to wait till later for comments, but I think we need to get some activity going here, so I am throwing it all open.)

Each teaser has a link where you can download the complete PDF file.

The deadline for submission of a script is, of course, still September 5 (inclusive).

:)

Geevie
08-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Sounds like fun :)

Count me in.

ComicBent
08-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I received FOUR scripts today, and I will have the teasers up tomorrow (Sunday) and the PDF files will be available then, too.

The fever is increasing!

:)

ComicBent
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Since the contest is now going well, with entries coming in, and teasers being posted, let's close this thread and just use the CONTEST sticky thread at top.

That thread is now open for comments and critiques of scripts.

Ray