PDA

View Full Version : appropriate style??

guiltypleasures
04-12-2004, 03:01 AM
Not sure if this is the proper area of the board to ask, so sorry if I waste your time:

What is the appropriate way to write the titles of other peoples' stories WITHIN your story. I have to refer to magazines by name in my script as well as to newspapers and other prose. I have no idea where my ELEMENTS OF STYLE book is (don't even know if I just blew that title as well), and I forget how to address this issue. Not even sure if the industry still goes by the guidelines in that reference book or if styles have changed.

The names of magazines, newspapers, novels, movies, TV shows, short stories, articles--I have to refer to a few of each in my script, but forget how each title is written. One is all CAP's, while another is CAP's only on first letter of each word, but everything italicized. Don't remember which is in parenthesis either. Any style guru's out there with answers?

I tried looking on-line but I get contradictory info.

Thx

ComicBent
04-12-2004, 07:51 AM
The names of magazines, newspapers, novels, movies, TV shows, short stories, articles — I have to refer to a few of each in my script ...

The reason that you found contradictory information is that in screenwriting there are no rules. I know that sounds categorical, but that is how it is. You just try to follow what is a tradition, and the tradition includes a lot of flexibility.

For screenplays just put all these things in quotation marks.
"Time Magazine" and "The Brothers Karamazov" and "West Side Story" and so forth.

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
...and novels and book titles in general are underlined.

pantalone
04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
When people read screenplays and there are things in ALL CAPS, they tend to think of that as sound or objects on the screen. I use and I like to read italics for things like Time magazine or As Time Goes By (the song) or Time Bandits the film.

OkeyDokey
04-13-2004, 10:52 AM
There you go! Three different answers!

Draw your own conclusions....

:)