PDA

View Full Version : Printing screenplay

Big A Machine
02-26-2004, 10:05 PM
What stock of paper should I print my screenplay on? I'm assuming there's an "industry standard," I just don't know what it is.

Anyone who answers this will be placed in my will. THANKS!

I apologize if I put this post in the wrong place.

refriedwhiskey
02-26-2004, 11:15 PM
The standard seems to be 20lb, 8.5x11", but that's about all you'll hear in the way of guidelines. Get something nice and bright, but don't bother with a lot of cotton content or anything. Heavier paper might look and feel nice to you, but it's not necessary and makes your script look and feel thicker to the reader.

If you're printing and binding your own scripts to send out, it's worth getting paper that's already punched. Unless you have an expensive three-hole punch that can handle 100 pages at a time, it's really tedious and time consuming to punch your own script.

peasblossom
02-27-2004, 05:01 AM
However, if you are printing one copy at home, and then taking it to a copy shop to have it copied, the holes will show up as dark circles on your copies, and won't necessarily be where the holes will be. I've never found a way around this besides using unholed paper for my first copy, and then punching my own holes. I do not have an expensive paper puncher. I consider the eight minutes or so that it takes to punch a copy of my script as part of the birth process!

-Sandy

dk23
02-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Even a cheap hole puncher ($10-20) can easily handle 10 pages at a time, and probably doesn't take more than 10 seconds per bunch. 1-2 minutes ought to cover it for most scripts. If you're sending out enough scripts that that amounts to too much of a time investment, I'd say you can afford to hire someone to do your hole punching. :)

Dan

refriedwhiskey
02-27-2004, 12:34 PM
I've got one of those inexpensive three-hole punches, and I've just always found it to be a big hassle. You have to punch the script 8-10 pages at a time, and the holes never seem to line up exactly. With pre-punched paper, you just have to be sure you put it in the printer the right way, and you're ready to bind it as soon as it comes out. It might be a handful of cents more expensive per ream, but it's worth the convenience.

Sez me. :)

pantalone
02-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Any good copy shop will have a great big freaking drill. It takes all of 30 seconds to drill an entire document. Two, three, five, whatever number of holes you need.

refriedwhiskey
02-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah, obviously a printer can punch the paper for you. That's why I said "if you're printing and binding your own script." :lol

peasblossom
02-28-2004, 05:27 AM
You're right! I never thought of using their hole-punchers. I must like these repetitive mindless tasks.
-Sandy

filmcarver
02-28-2004, 07:32 AM
In you are in L.A., then there isn't a copy shop in town that isn't used to copying scripts. Ask around and find the best rates, which sometimes are quite inexpensive.

You can bring your own pre-punched paper to most copiers if they don't have the drills.