PDA

View Full Version : Product Placement and High Concept...

Revisionist
04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Let's say you're nearly finished a script. You kick back, put your feet up, and stop short... You realize that what you've just written has so much room for product placement it could damn near fund itself. And the "high concept" part of it plays right into that fact.

Now, because writer's aren't supposed to know what they're talking about when it comes to marketing and product merchandising, it would be unwise to bring it up in a query. Even though writers are expected to be intelligent individuals who know something about everything, apparently "business" isn't supposed to be one of them.

Question...

Is it worth it to write the query in such a way as to let the reader know the marketing opportunities? I'm not saying to mention companies but would this work in your favor? Or would you look like a smuck for "thinking" ahead of the game?

Just curious. For now. Thought I'd throw it out there.

caseymc
04-07-2005, 06:58 PM
What I hear is that the "creative" meetings at the studios these days is all comprised of marketers, no one that's actually in the creative department.

And maybe product placement is something that gets listed in the coverage by the readers.

I think you should go with a standard query. They may get upset knowing that the writers are one step ahead of them now.

Revisionist
04-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh, I know they don't want the writer to have a grasp of marketing yet they want scripts full of opportunities for it. The funny thing is I wrote the script with merchadising in mind and at the end realized the true potential for product placement. It's mind boggling when I started getting into it.

I wasn't going to right out and say what could be marketed. The script is so intertwined with the products involved that it can't help but come up in the synopsis. It's a major part of the story. I was only gonna nudge it that way a little more in the query.

Either that or approach the marketing department of the company I think would fit and let them take a look at it. I'll try anything once.

wcmartell
04-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Hinting - as long as they don't catch you at it - is probably a good idea.

- Bill

PipeWriter
04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Things I wouldn't mention, but this is just me:

- product placement
- high concept or low concept
- great vehicle for <insert actor>
- tear jerker
- surprise ending
- how much my mom/sister/friend/otherwriters/competitors A, B, or C loved it.
- my previous writing credits as seen in "Geek Toys" magazine
- hilarity ensuing
- merchandising possibilities
- franchising possibilities
- how much I feel this movie will make at the box office
- how my story could be better but just take a look at it anyway
- that this is a first draft
- that I was anything less than a finalist in Nichol's, Austin, Sundance, or Chesterfield (?)
- that I placed anywhere in a contest that isn't Nichol's, Austin, Sundance, or Chesterfield

kullervo
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
We did this one a month ago. No, you don't mention product placement. Especially as you obviously don't understand how it works.

Not answering this one _again_.

kullervo

Revisionist
04-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't recall saying I was going to mention it. Script speaks for itself. I don't need to.

KD The Wubat
04-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Probably not- it wouldn't be the same people looking at buying your script or not who set up placement. They're not in the same department, and frequently not even in the same company. There are agencies that do placement for films, and it happens at a later point in the development process.

Revisionist
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
If you were referring to going to the marketing department of the company itself. I wouldn't. I was just thinking out loud.

And I wouldn't mention the "name brand" just the story. The "opportunities" for financing will only be apparent in the outline. The reader will think, "Hey, this could make some cash."

That's about it. I'm just going to write a regular synopsis and not worry about it. It's apparent enough to the reader in that.

coconutp
04-11-2005, 08:45 AM
check out the link on one thread (Boston Herald article) where a TV writer sold a show based on the product placement/ marketing potential. branded entertainment is bigger than ever.

Revisionist
04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Was interested in reading the thread you're referring to but couldn't locate it anywhere on the site...

If you got a link, it would be appreciated.

coconutp
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
i just searched google and found the link....but now it's a archive article...

thetrack.bostonherald.com...leid=68982 (http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=68982)

i'll look more on the other threads...

Revisionist
04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks, amigo. Greatly appreciated.