PDA

View Full Version : who does the movie?

Luo Man
01-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Ive heard lots of stuffs like that : « Spielberg is a awesome film director ..his latest movie is a masterpiece »…or other things like « this actor is great ». I would lie if I would say that a movie is successful only thanks to the actors, directors…
But who imagines the plot, the characters, the dialogs…THE STORY ? ? neither the actor nor the director ( well it depends. I mean lots of directors are both directors and screenwriters ). The answer is obviously the screenwriter ! but who are those who are interviewed ? ? who are those who are in the limelights ? ? Sophie Marceau, Hugh Grant or Spielberg ! and did Cameron Diaz write the latest movie in which she played. No she didn’t. Yet, the medias only talk about them. and what about the screenwriter ? ? no one does. Why ? ?:hat
Dear friends, don’t make me wrong ! Ive never said that directors and actors are useless. It’s the opposite. They convey a good image to appeal the audience. And generally the better know the actor is the more succesful the movie is. I just wonder why those who work hard are ignored ? i mean the screenwriter is the one who creates the story but he’s the one who gets less gratitute. Why ? ?..
Yet he’s essential like shows the 3 S theory : no Screenwriter=no Story=so Shooting
Have a good day,
:D

I framed OJ
01-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Screenwriters get gratitude. They get screen credit and a nice check. And when audience members in the theater laugh at the funny moments the screenwriter has written or are on the edge of their seat because of the story - that's gratitude.

It seems as though the other things you speak of are fame - which is vanity and ego.

A brilliant well written script, in the hands of an incompetent director and producer, can fail miserably when attempted to be translated onto the screen.

Johnny Stacatto
01-20-2005, 11:06 AM
a screenwriter chooses to stay behind the scenes, writing something that has no real use without the director or actors or D.P. or anyone else.

famous novelists are interviewed all the time. but they have to write novels.

wcmartell
01-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree - screenwriters should get more credit for our contribution. As a screenwriter, I make sure I know who wrote the movie (and credit them). I figure that respecting writers has to *start* with writers.

So here's a quiz for you. I'm sure you'll get all of the answers right...

www.scriptsecrets.net/art...rpquiz.htm (http://www.scriptsecrets.net/articles/scrpquiz.htm)

- Bill

PS: This script wasn't created for you.... after about a hundred posts just like yours I decided to make up the quiz based on what I knew without looking anything up.

captain bligh
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
beach girls? :|

Kelsey
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I've spent a huge chunk of my life onstage and in front of the camera. I'm fully aware of the "lack of" credit screenwriters get from movie-goers, and trust me, I'm okay with that. I love movies, and the chills I feel when the theater lights go down is satisfaction enough for me.

wcmartell
01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
The girl who starred in my super8mm feature moved to Hollywood afterwards and starred in BEACH GIRLS.

The writer of that film went on to be close to famous (in screenwriter terms) by selling a script for $3 million and holding onto his copyright as part of the deal.

- Bill

Dunksta
01-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Wow! I bombed out on that quiz. What's worse, I could name the directors on nearly all those movies.

Luo Man
01-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Thx all for your answers.

I frame OJ, I didn’t mean to speak of vanity and ego…like you say. I just wanted to highlight the difference of the level of gratitute between the actors/directors and the screenwriter.
As for famous novelists, they’re interviewed because they’re the only ones who have done the novel..

Hey wc thx for the quizz !
Enjoy writing !
LM
:D