PDA

View Full Version : "What other ideas do you have?"

phatgirl
12-07-2004, 06:22 AM
When you're in a meeting with a potential agent/manager and they ask you this question, how much detail are they looking for?

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
12-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Give them a quick one- or two-line overview. Let them ask the questions, and you can fill in the details.

EX:

"So whaddya working on these days?"
"A thriller. About a medium who makes her living jilting her customers by making them think she's contacting their loved ones."
"Interesting. So what happens?"
"One day it works."
"Yeah, good, so?"
"And she's stunned by it."
"Right, right, so she--"
"She figures she's onto something."
"Whaddya think of Portland?"
"Oregon?"
"Might work there. Nice setting. Hasn't been done too much these days."

[With some changes this is a pretty accurate representation of the beginning of a conversation I had with an exec last year.]:)

LauriD
12-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Loglines to start, including the title and genre. Then they'll tell you which ones they're interested in and you give them more details on those.

I came up with a dozen "ideas" once, and made up one-sheets (some more detailed than others) for each of them. I think in order to pitch you at least have to know the main concept, the major characters, and some idea of 4-6 major plot points.

More established writers may get away with a two-word high concept.... The rest of us need a little more ammo??

LauriD

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
I think it also depends on the nature of the conversation you're having. If these are meetings set up by your reps based on a sample execs had read and liked, you may have a little more time to toss out some ideas and actually have a conversation.

I had a meeting with an exec at a major production company last year that lasted for well over an hour. Basically, we shot the breeze, had a few laughs, talked about some ideas, and came away realizing we could happily work together at some point.

phatgirl
12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

scryptreader
12-08-2004, 12:38 AM
how did it go with the psychic project... any luck?

phatgirl
12-08-2004, 05:49 AM
<< how did it go with the psychic project... any luck? >>

My guess is that Jake is full of "Whoopie." ;) I think he's referring to the movie Ghost (or at least he could be).

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
12-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Actually, I changed the facts somewhat for my anecdote. Without saying more on it (as it's a project I'm going to pitch again), it's a forty-year-old British movie that I'd like to redo.

So I've only got as far as making notes. No point in writing the thing before it becomes a more definite project in tersm fo rights and the enthusiasm of others.

elephant1978
12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
I'd avoid Portland, Jake. Shooting in the rain is a bitch. :b

Ele...

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
12-08-2004, 09:41 AM
That actually was an exec's idea. When he heard the pitch (the original was set in north London, an area I know very well, but the remake would be set Stateside), and heard that I wanted to set it in San Francisco, he suggested Portland. Just liked the look of it, I guess. >D