PDA

View Full Version : Has it been done? Is it about to be done?

GREATwarEAGLE
11-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Is there a website where you can see if a certain type of film has already been made or if a certain type of script is in the works? For those who want to check to see if what they are doing has already or about to be done.

If not, could such a feature be added to Done Deal? Like you eneter a word search or something like that. I know, it might be too dificult or even impossible. Perhaps it would work better for those who are basing their script on a true story or actual events.

Know what I mean? Any thoughts?

filmcarver
11-14-2004, 08:59 AM
If you learn how to work it, IMDB.com can be a very good free resource to put in titles, genre, directors..

Any of the major trade sites...hollywood reporter, variety, pro.imdb, all have pre-production, new sales, headlines, etc.

If you consistently watch sales every day and keep up with the trades, you will naturally know what's going on with the industry most of the time.

hot sticky white goo
11-14-2004, 09:44 AM
im talking about one-stop shopping. one source.

one website that compiles all the info from the sites you mentioned and adds the necessary search engine.

i cant be bothered with searching through the industry maze, ive got pintless done deal posts to tend to.

wcmartell
11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Done Deal... hey, that's where we are!

You have to actually read the list of sales and actually use some memory (brain memory), but all of the info is here.

If you don't have time to read and remember, maybe you don't want it bad enough? No one said this was going to be easy. In fact, it's hard as hell.

- Bill (#18 goes into production at the end of this month!)

filmcarver
11-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Actually Bill, I'm embarrassed I didn't even mention home base..talk about taking something for granted.

The script sales here is as updated as anywhere and my primary resource. The links section second to none.

Thanks Will and and all for the DD site.

chrisb
11-17-2004, 11:35 PM
I agree with Bill, so far as scripts that have been sold are concerned, however the original post also asked about those which are in the works. I know execs, and presumably reps, use Baseline FilmTracker, which gives them more information than IMDB, or IMDBpro. (It also gives them an option to set up tracking boards etc). However, it comes at a price, starting, I believe, around $60 a month.
Still, if you're not repped, but you're on good terms with an exec who's a subscriber perhaps they'd be willing to check something for you?
Cheers,
Chris

BROUGHCUT
11-18-2004, 11:44 PM
DD gives the best overview by far. Also, when it comes to searching within loglines for keywords that may have a bearing on your own script, it is the only database with an accessible archive (apart from a general search on Variety/Reporter).

Loglines on BaslineFT/StudioSystem are very similar and sometimes identical -- records on all these sites kick off from the trades/press releases. Difference is that FT etc track development but for the purpose of this Q that's of limited use as the loglines aren't updated, just the people/companies involved. They don't usually have any more info about the story as you get here on scriptsales and sometimes actually have a little less detail -- they are more concerned with the business side of things.

All the 'pro' pay sites archive projects and you have to search by company, people, genre, keyword etc first in order to browse -- but you can't search the actual text of loglines for a specific word like you can on DD. Sometimes ctrl+f is best!

KilgoreTrout2
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
www.studiosystem.com is very thorough and I find it much more complete than imdbpro. I use studiosystem almost every day...

BROUGHCUT
11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
imdbpro is something like $400/month cheaper though. I tried a trial a year back, they had some very good contact info for reps (contact details for one high profile agent-to-manager move before either Baseline or Studio System) but projects etc yes crap by comparison. But I think most the new feature film projects that are added to StudioSystem will get a showing on scriptsales.com the same day. There's a "new projects" list on the Studio System homepage (?) but I don't have that feature on my FT login unfortunately so hard to say how many "exclusives" they get/uncover, but when the records are first posted I think all these sites are generally offering their own precis of the announcements in the trades that day.