PDA

View Full Version : I made a film, now how do I sell it?

woodyclark
11-15-2004, 01:36 AM
So, here we go.

I am a "writer" but had an idea for a "film" and produced it with some investors' money. Now, to call this a film is a bit generous. I came up with this idea (an entreprenuerial venture)- make a film for cats to watch on DVD while their owners are away at work. The DVD is called The Cat Companion and is filled with mice, birds, fish, squirrels, kittens and other animals and is designed to entertain house cats for hours. The DVD has a continuous loop and can be played all day. The DVD case has been designed, nationally televised commercials have gone out (you can watch it on my website if you choose), the DVD has been formatted into chapters, and several hundred have been sold so far.

So here is the question. Now that I've made the "film", how do I go about getting it distributed? My website is www.thecatcompanion.com if you want to see what the product is about.

I've thought about going to Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Petco and the like. Does anyone have any ideas or think this is a good idea and have contacts to distribution channels? What have you guys/gals done in the past to get your films "out there"? I know this is a writer's forum (which I have used often in the past for scripts that I am writing), but any help would be greatly appreciated on the distribution questions. Thanks everyone!

Woody
woodyclark@yahoo.com

le kilt
11-15-2004, 07:34 AM
just when I thought we'd run out of fresh topics...

how about selling the dvd direct to the cats themselves? you could probably find some hanging around fishmarkets.

trying to be creative here, that's all. :)

heavenlysurfer
11-15-2004, 08:50 AM
I saw a film like this at a chain Pet store..maybe you could find out distro company for the same...or look into distributing yourself to petstores...

copywriter1
11-15-2004, 10:09 AM
What is the largest non-profit cat rescue organization (or similar organization) in the country? Perhaps you could contact them and tell them you'd like to distribute via their locations -- and a significant portion of the sale would go to their cause. Just a thought.

homunculus
11-15-2004, 08:36 PM
I doubt if a film can hold the animals' interest for more than a few moments. Animals lack the abstract, symbolic apparatus to mentally substitute a 2D representation for a 3D object. A recorded image offers no interaction and holds no long-term interest to them. A good example of the brains needed to process abstraction is a mirror: chimps are the only animals which realize that a mirror reflects themselves. BTW, if a film like that could evoke a reaction from a cat, how would you deal with the cat's scratching the screen?

woodyclark
11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Wow, the haters emerge! It works like this Homo. It also includes audio as well (we've digitally remasted kitten noises, mice, birds, etc.) It uses both visual and audio stimuluses to induce a reaction from the cat. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but we've sold hundreds of these videos so far, and don't have a complaint yet. And as for your other point, the video has a warning at the begining written by our lawyers that says we are not responsible for any damage done by animals while watching this video. Also, an animals inability to mentally comprehend the video is what makes it work. It can be played over and over again without a cat becoming bored with it since they've forgotten what they were watching before. Also, it can be sold to anywhere in the World because it doesn't change languages (Cat/bird noises are universal). Watching a cat's reaction to the video is hillarious and a lot of fun...you should try it before you hate it.

Woody

Evil Elf the One and Only
11-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Seems to me the point is whether people will buy it or not, and as there are a couple of these already on the market, the answer seems to be yes. Selling a couple of hundred off a website isn't bad, but commercials are pretty damned expensive.

Call the headquarters of major pet supply companies and ask for the name of a buyer. Then write a kickass pitch letter and send it in, following up with a phonecall. You're already distributing your video, might as well go ahead and continue. If you find it too much work, call a major pet store near you and ask which distributors they deal with, because you'd love to talk to them. Most will be pretty helpful, especially if you give them a free "review" copy of your DVD. They have a lot of pets to keep entertained, you know.

Or You Could Hire Me To Do That! ;) (http://terminalcity.diary-x.com)

zasque
11-16-2004, 04:14 AM
i have a cat that watches TV but is pretty selective. Laughs at "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," pukes up hairballs at Fox News. Think he'd love your DVD.

I made a movie like that once for dogs, featuring darting cats and postmen, images of fatty food and flying frisbees, and pics of other dogs' asses. Did boffo canine B.O. for years.

You might consider showing it to the folks at the Humane Society, too. If you could get a local PetCo to run it in the store so that customers could see how cats react to it, that might be a great marketing tool.