PDA

View Full Version : Letter of Attachment

Muckraker
11-12-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm about to attach a director to an indie script of mine, and it occurs to me I have idea what the legal implications of such an agreement are. Does a standard attachment give that director exclusive rights to direct any motion picture based on my script, or can I continue to pursue other options apart from that agreement? Should a particular time period be referenced, a la an option agreement? And should it be explicit that either party may walk away from the agreement at any time?

My situation is, I need to allow a director of "color" to attach herself to my script in order for it to qualify for the Tribeca All Access program, a forum that promotes the interests of minority filmmakers. Help!

jimjimgrande
11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Attached is a non-legal, non-binding term.

It only means that the attached person is interested in the project and has agreed to let you or whoever use their name to help move the project forward. It is assumed that more formal agreements with be negotiated at some future time.

In the past, I have used a simple letters that say - So and So is attached to direct, so and so is attached to star. that's all. Any agreement more formal than that would move from "attached" to "committed"

that's just my experience...