PDA

View Full Version : Offer for script...which option is best?

CLB44
11-07-2004, 06:32 PM
A script I recently submitted (as a bet) was requested by an entertainment company. After reviewing it, I received a message that they want to make me an offer. I am TOTALLY new to all this. I was told that I need to get an entertainment attorney and that I should negotiate a price to just "sell" the script...versus negotiating to get involved in story development, shopping it around to networks, etc.

Anyone been here before?

MacG
11-07-2004, 08:18 PM
First, congratulations. Sounds like this bet is turning into a real winner for you!

Second, what do you mean "shopping it around to networks?" Did you mean to say "studios"?

Bottom line, get on the phone ASAP and get yourself a reputanbe ent. attorney to help nagivate the waters. If you don't know of any, the people at the production company -- if they're stand-up fellas / gals, and serious about a good deal for them and you -- should be able to give you a name and point you in the right direction.

The points of your contract should cover all the basics -- payment to you, number of rewrites / polishes you'll have a crack at, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your "...negotiating to get involved in story development" statement sounds as though your angling for some sort of producing credit. True? If so, that's understandable...but probably not going to happen. Especially since you're a newbie.

The production company liked your script and wants to see it made...but they probably don't want you as a writer trying to insert yourself TOO heavily into the creative process, i.e. cast, directors, etc. Those finally decisions usually end up in the hands of the financing studio, anyway, as a means to protect their investment in the production.

So by all means ask if you feel bold enough...just don't make it a make-or-break facet of the arrangement.

Keep us posted on what happens!

-M :hat

BROUGHCUT
11-07-2004, 08:58 PM
A script I recently submitted (as a bet) was requested by an entertainment company.

You picked out this company, or they found you from somewhere like InkTip.com?

After reviewing it, I received a message that they want to make me an offer.

Did the company tell you this? It could be that they want to "offer" you an option agreement, in which case you should be equally cautious as you will be agreeing to the full terms of the sale in advance of them shopping it to networks/studios. (Take a look at the recent threads on options and shopping agreements in this section.)

As well as a minimum purchase price, WGA rules entitle you to one rewrite, which is story development, so you should not be locked out of this process entirely if they are a signatory.

If you want specific guidance consider posting the name of the company.

CLB44
11-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks so much for the insight. I have begun researching entertainment attorneys. I will definitley keep you posted.

Thanks again,

CLB :)

CLB44
11-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I submitted my work thru a script-service website.

BROUGHCUT
11-08-2004, 11:00 PM
woops, I hacked up the EZ code and looks like I edited out the full quote. Of course they told you they would like to make an offer, sorry about that. I meant to ask if it was the company that advised you to negotiate a price to just 'sell' the script...versus negotiating to get involved in story development, shopping it around to networks, etc. If so this advice is obviously tainted by a conflict of interest.

If you don't know if it's a well known company, go over to Variety.com and run a search for the company name to see if they are on the radar. You won't be able to read full articles without signing up, but if you get no hits that will also tell you something.

theturnaround
11-08-2004, 11:29 PM
I was told that I need to get an entertainment attorney and that I should negotiate a price to just "sell" the script...versus negotiating to get involved in story development, shopping it around to networks, etc.

A manager told me a long time ago... You can throw a script out there and maybe sell it and get replaced as the writer and have someone else finish it... or you can work your freaking ass off and the sole writer from start to finish and build a career. I endeavor to be the 2nd kind of writer. Which are you?

theturnaround

CLB44
11-09-2004, 11:22 AM
endeavor to be the 2nd kind of writer. Which are you?

I definitely aspire to be the same.

Thanks, I needed to hear (read) this. ;)