PDA

View Full Version : collection of short screenplays

I framed OJ
10-23-2004, 08:47 AM
In the Writing Exercises forum here on Done Deal, there is currently a simple short script writing "competition" among us DDer's for Halloween/horror themed shorts (no more than 10 pages) - anybody is of course welcome. Anyway, it refueled my idea, which I know some writers do, of compiling 10 or so shorts that share a unified theme into one bound script. Like the movie Creepshow, or any other genre movie.

The question is: is there a way to market such a script to attract possible representation? Or for any established reputable screenplay competitions? Or any other traditional way of marketing it?

Thanks.

By the way, if you're interested in the little Done Deal contest, go here:
Halloween Exercise (http://p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealfrm38.showMessage?topicID=77.topic)

I framed OJ
10-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I just realized there is a very similar topic here already asking the same question. Sorry. I didn't see it.

However, I am asking about compiling the shorts in to one bound screenplay. So its kind of different.

wenonah
10-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I've actually thought of this over the past 3 years, with a dozen or more shorts - for these exercises on the board and just to get ideas out of my head so I can sleep better. Fiction writers often compile books of short stories, but who compiles short scripts? I don't know if there's a market for them, but it would make an interesting and diverse writing sample. There's always film students looking for short scripts to shoot ;)

wenonah

cmmora
10-23-2004, 11:58 AM
I’ve also thought about this over the years. Whenever I’m stuck on one of my features, I procrastinate by writing a short. By now I have around 8 shorts ready to go. One of my shorts I’ve already turned into a feature script. I’ve had two of my shorts produced. One by a student in Ohio and another by a production group in San Francisco. Each one didn’t turn out to be what I expected.

So, I bit the bullet and directed one of my own scripts. It turned out well and I’m sending it out to festivals. At least, I’ll have it in case an agent or manager wants to see what one of my scripts looks like on film.

So, instead of compiling all of the shorts in a screenplay, they should all be produced as a feature with a central theme. With all of the shorts, 120 minutes is not that hard to achieve.

In San Francisco, where I live, there are an abundance of actors and production people willing to do jobs for free (deferred). They want credit for their reels or resumes. With my short, I didn’t have too much trouble attracting people and getting locations. Everyone was willing to help.

The short I wrote for the Valentine competition this year is my next short that I will produce.

With all of the good shorts at the Exercise thread, it would be interesting to pull those together and make a feature.