PDA

View Full Version : Dealing professionally with personalities

Totiwos
10-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Can anyone offer some tips on how to deal with personalities and egos while remaining professional, without letting yourself be trampled?

jimjimgrande
10-16-2004, 07:08 PM
perhaps you could give us a specific situation.

filmcarver
10-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Listen far more than you talk. Repeat this...almost no one is capable of doing or understanding this.

The best relationships are blown quickly by lowblow hotheads who interrupt others with their rhetoric.

Empty BS conversation is transparent and scores nothing. A few relaxed comments, then get to business. Make them think you stay as busy asthey do.

Always edify what they just said, and then present your point confidently without appearing argumentative, yet intelligent.

Understand clearly in your mind who needs who the most in this particular situation, and take your stance accordingly.

The one who listens, then returns with an articulate question will always control the arena of the conversation or meeting.

Ravenlocks01
10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Um... you do it just the way you'd do it at any job or in any social situation. Personalities and egos are all around us.

I think confidence, tact, an even temper, lack of arrogance, and a willingness to ask questions are probably the biggest assets in dealing with anyone.

BeefMissile
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
For more insight on real life Hollywood jobs get the great non fiction book about Hollywood PAs(I think the title is It's All Your Fault). Also watch the excellent film; Swimming With THe Sharks. It was made by George Huang who worked his way up in Hollywood's film/tv business. It's funny and several scenes are based on real incidents. www.imdb.com www.bookfinder.com www.bn.com.

:hat

zuzuII
10-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Does that book cover things like what to do when you run into someone who knows someone you would SING HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY if they could/would direct your script and you have no idea how to go about getting from a to b without sounding like a schmmozy @#%$? Hypothetically...

Totiwos
10-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the tips. I hesitate to get too specific, but I've had a couple of times when I've wondered how someone could be such a neanderthal and still rise to some position of authority. I've worked professionally for a decade, so I know something about dealing with idiots, but there seems to be a special brand of arrogant insecurity or self-secure ignorance about the way the world should be that is difficult for me to grasp and respond to. I've encountered some great people, too, so I don't think it's a blanket indictment of the industry by any stretch. It's just difficult to know how to respond to the social bull in a china cabinet that no one seems to mind or the person who treats me like an idiot until he suspects that I might be someone. It's an odd mix when what you are is also what you do.

BeefMissile
10-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I've met and/or worked with a few celebs and well known actors over the years. Some are very good to be with, some are total a-holes. Also, some crews/above-the-line types/PAs etc can be jerks too. I remember one film set where 2 crew members yelled and screamed at each other over radio headsets, not knowing they were standing less than 10 feet away from each other. I say treat everyone on a set with respect, be open to changes, be creative, and act like a professional.

:D

filmcarver
10-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Well said, Beef Missile.

Being someone who can stay on target and rise above the angst of judgementalism and rhetoric can go far.

It's a business