View Full Version : Shopping my script
09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
My recent post, 'no money option' has now turned into what I think is 'please wait while we do a quick job of shopping your script'. The first partner loved it and told me the other would read it and call in a week. no call, so I called. They still love it, but the other one is out on a family emegency. So, I quess there is not much for me to do but hope that who ever they run it by, loves it too. I am clearly not in the driver's seat.
09-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Read the other thread here. where this is discussed.
p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2307.topic (http://p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealproductioncompanies.showMessage?topicID=2 307.topic)
They are not shoping your script per se. They're just waiting for the partner to read it. They can then do 3 things
1) not return your calls
2) pay you (unlikely)
3) shop it to someone who will pay you.
Under no circumstances should you do a free option. They will ask for one, unless they are a major producer with studio credits. Unless you're directing you should say no.
Based on my experience in doing 4 free options every one which I regretted, several things may happen if you free option (or low-ball option, like under 20k)
1) they shop your script with an agent or by themselves and there are no buyers (likely). Result: Now you have to wait 1-2 years to get the rights back because you figured out they weren't as big players as they said they were.
2) they make you do endless free rewrites because the bigger producers/execs they're trying to sell it to are coming back at them with notes result: you wasted a year free rewriting and now everyone passed on the script you polished.
3) they try to produce your movie by attaching actors, directors etc. (best scenario, but you'll wait a long time to get paid). hopefully this will happen. best case because then you get a credit.
4) they sell it to a studio (another best case)
In my experience, if they are small time producers with only a few credits and none of those credits are studio movies, #1 and #2 are the most likely. #3 and #4 could happen, however, if it's #4 you're hoping for (a payday) then there is no reason for a free option.
it's always those just starting out with no power whatsoever that want to tie your property up.
You should be shopping your script to everyone who'll bite and then letting the most aggressive shark set it up ASAP.
09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
option advise: when making the option deal (esp a free one) make sure the contract is as short as possible. three - six months is sufficient for them to decide if they want to or can proceed. and it puts the pressure on them to act more quickly. after that three months if they want to renew the option then you can weigh their performance and decide to deal with them again or move on.
09-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks to you both for your input. For now, I took Sid's advice and sent out a couple hundred one page queries, using their kind words and those of a major producer who read it last December and actually called within one week with some very positive comments and some suggestions to improve it. I had to skinney the synopsis down to half a page to get all the nice coverage in.
If I do get the option offer, I'm leaning to Nickee's advice, 3 months and small change.
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
update: So far, my 200 queries snagged one producer, but he is a well known guy, so, 'Hope is on the Way'. as John the windsurfer put it.
vBulletin v3.6.2, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.