PDA

View Full Version : Petrie wins at WGA

LauriD
09-21-2004, 11:10 PM
PETRIE ELECTED WGA WEST PREZ
Receives 71% of votes cast
Hollywood writers have opted for moderation over revolution, overwhelmingly choosing appointed incumbent Daniel Petrie Jr. as WGA West president over reform-minded challenger Eric Hughes.

Full Story at Variety.com
----------------------------

So what does this mean re the writing biz and the likelihood of a strike?

LauriD

PurpleCurtain
09-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Petrie's margin of victory indicates that the WGAw membership, or at least the WGAw voting membership, supports the current strategy, which is to continue working without a formal contract and see what happens with the DGA negotiations.

And for those who aren't aware, the WGA can't strike unless and until the MEMBERSHIP votes for it. Part of the argument against even asking the membership to vote for a strike is that if a vote is taken and the members vote against striking, or they vote for it but by a questionable margin, the WGAs position could be fatally weakened. Petrie's win also makes clear that a vast majority of (voting) WGA members just aren't interested in a strike at this point, regardless of how loud and passionate the few "STRIKE NOW!" members seem to be.

LauriD
09-23-2004, 09:06 PM
DGA TALKS YIELD DEAL
Pact includes advances in healthcare contributions
In a deal that diminishes the possibility of a major Hollywood strike next year, the DGA has reached a tentative three-year pact with studios and networks.

Full Story at Variety.com

-------------

So what does this mean for the WGA?

LauriD

InvaderUjin
09-24-2004, 12:36 AM
IMHO - the DGA signing a deal reduces the likelihood of a WGA strike.

Keep in mind that this year, the DGA deal came up first - and SAG and the WGA were waiting to see if the DGA would strike for better health and DVD revenues. The DGA extended their old deal for one year - basically stalling - and putting the onus on SAG to get the concessions.

The SAG deal came up next and they extended their old deal for one year - putting the onus on the WGA to get the concessions.

The WGA deal came up last and they extended their old deal for one year - putting everything back on the DGA.

So it looks like the DGA deal addressed the health insurance costs, but did little for the DVD revenues. My guess is that SAG will get the same concessions on health insurance and no DVD increase - ditto with WGA.

All in my humble opinion. See ya again in three years when this all comes up again. :)

Unca Leo
09-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Actually, the WGA extended nothing. It's just been working without a new contract since May.

InvaderUjin
09-24-2004, 03:04 PM
My mistake - Unca Leo's correct. The WGA's been working without a deal since May 2nd - but didn't extend the old deal or go on strike.

Hamboogul
09-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Ujin,

For this misinformation, I demand that you step down as moderator of this wonderful forum.

I DEMAND IT!!!