PDA

View Full Version : Grad school

Coco82
09-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm interested in writing and producing and was wondering do I have to go to grad school to get anywhere in those fields? Would it makea difference if I didn't go to going? Any advice would be much appreciated.

The Other Steve
09-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Hello.

The “school” question (in a slight variety of forms) gets asked here occasionally: You might like to search this forum and other sections on this site for previous threads. Terms like “MFA” or “film school” or “school” or “UCLA” or “USC” should be search-productive.

Hairy Lime
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
I think it depends largely on where you go and how you decide to attempt to break in to this business. Rather than go to film school, I decided to produce an independent feature. For a relatively modest investment, I've had hands on experience with nearly every component of film production. Even if the film never goes anywhere, the experience has been invaluable.

LauriD
09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Some issues to consider:

1. Will the grad school in question teach you to be a better writer?

I recently talked with an agent who read 5 scripts from a major LA graduate screenwriting program. One script was great, the other 4 stunk.

I would talk to the people who read the products of these programs: the studio/agency readers, the agents/managers, the producers and find out which program seems to be producing the best writers.

2. Will the program give you contacts that will advance your career?

ASk alumni about this; is there a wel-organized alumni network? Is there an informal old boy/girl network?

3. Is this going to help your resume?

The answer in most cases seems to be "no." Maybe there's a marginally better chance of getting read if you can mention a grad degree, but is this worth $10K/yr+?

4. Is this the best use of your time/money?

Or should you just write, take (much cheaper) continuing ed classes, workshop your stuff, etc.? Would you learn more getting a day job as an assistant in a producer's office?

ANyone want to add anything?

LauriD

Coco82
09-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Well, I'm hoping on producing a short documentary next year in school. So, hopefully I can pull that off.