PDA

View Full Version : What's my next step

Professor
09-15-2004, 02:59 AM
First-time poster, long-time lurker.

Here's my situation:

I have developed a concept for a new live-action comedy television series. I have been working on the concept and refining it for roughly two years. I've created a series bible, written scripts for the first two episodes, and plotted out three seasons of the show. We have a director, a writing staff, a director of photography, an editor, an art director, a costume designer, a production crew, a post-production crew, and almost a full cast all committed and ready to come on board.

The folks involved in this project have all worked in the industry for a number of years at such companies as Pixar, Disney, Nickelodeon, Lucasfilm, and Industrial Light & Magic. Our combined credits include the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Van Helsing, Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator 3, Ren & Stimpy, Jurassic Park III, Galaxy Quest, Cats & Dogs, and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

This series would be a good fit at networks like Comedy Central, Sci-Fi, and others. In fact, although they don't run much original programming, this series might work nicely for either TV Land or Nick At Nite.

The best part is that the show would be relatively inexpensive to produce.

Naturally, I and the others working with me plan on tapping any and all connections we have in the industry for help. My question though is what is my next step? Do I need to get an agent in order to pitch the show to a network? Should I contact the networks directly? Or should I form a production company and produce a pilot on my own and shop that around? Forming a production company to produce the series would be necessary eventually should a deal be reached with a network.

I would truly value the input and advice from everyone here on this board.

-----The Professor

Hamboogul
09-15-2004, 03:34 AM
good luck.

PipeWriter
09-15-2004, 08:51 AM
The folks involved in this project have all worked in the industry for a number of years at such companies as Pixar, Disney, Nickelodeon, Lucasfilm, and Industrial Light & Magic. Our combined credits include the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Van Helsing, Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator 3, Ren & Stimpy, Jurassic Park III, Galaxy Quest, Cats & Dogs, and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

And you come to a screenwriting message board for advice?

jimjimgrande
09-15-2004, 12:25 PM
you should shoot it.

if you're able to get pitch meetings with agents, try that, but the market for tv is as tough as it's ever been and selling a show without a proven track record is near impossible. You need an established producer to mentor your project and get it to people who'll listen, otherwise no dice.

So if it's inexpensive, shoot some of it, put it together, and shop the show. Plus it'll be fun.