PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, manager or agent?

bewareofdog
09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your entertaining and informative feedback on my previous "Living in Arrowhead" post :D

Okay, new question... I FINALLY wrangled an upcoming meeting with a Literary Manager! When I grill him, what are some good questions to ask? I'd like to ask if he can help me get an Agent, but is that too pushy? Are there industry standards for manager contracts -- i.e. 2 years, 10 years -- standard percentages? Will he introduce me to his contacts, invite me to industry schmoozes? In other words, how can management help a newbie like me? Oh, and is it okay to ask who else he represents and what he's accomplished in terms of script sales??
Thanks,
Gia

jimjimgrande
09-12-2004, 11:59 PM
I think if you spent an hour or more reading through the old threads in the Agents and Managers forum you'd find the answer to these questions and a whole lot more that you'd like to know.

Your manager should definitely have getting you repped at an agency as a primary goal. His fee should be no more than ten percent. You should not give him any money for any reason. Contracts are used, but not always. He should try to circulate your scripts and get you meetings, not invite you as his date to parties. His client list should be a selling point for him, not a secret. He may want to attach himself as producer to everything you write and it's up to you to decide if that's worth it.

You could always post his name and the company name in the agents and managers forum and see if any others on this board have have dealings or personal experience with him.

NikeeGoddess
09-15-2004, 08:13 AM
unlike agents, managers are not licensed. but they can do more and have much more freedom in working with you; and developing or packaging your project. and b/c they have this freedom then all managers are not alike. they can choose what or how much they want to do for you b/c there are no rules and regulations with their responsiblities.

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
09-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Nikee's comment reflects my experience with a manager. A good one is very proactive, and will work closely with you on developing your script until it's ready to go out. Many managers have story-editors on-board. Some are writers; others have worked in development at prodcos or studios. They make excellent sounding-boards.