PDA

View Full Version : registering your script

crafty818
09-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I have completed my first script. I want to register it before I start passing it around for peer evaluation. If I decide to change something after getting feedback - for example a scene that needs tweaking or something minor...do I need to re-register the new draft? thanks in advance

jimjimgrande
09-09-2004, 04:04 PM
no - you don't

Ivonia
09-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Another question related to this, you would only need to re-register it after you've made some substantial changes to it right? Like adding/deleting a character, changing some of the plot/dialogue, etc?

JustinoIV
09-10-2004, 12:00 PM
No need to reregister it even then. Many scripts go through substantial edits and then a total rewrite from scratch.

The copyright laws protect your work as soon as you create it by writing it down or typing it. For absolute proof that you wrote the scripts, keep copies of all your old drafts. Registering it once with either the LOC or the WGA is perfectly enough.

So go ahead and register.

filmcarver
09-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Justin is bullseye

What many do, including myself, is to register the original work, but wait to officially copyright until you have the final draft in hand, at least so as far as you are concerned.

They are two different things, and you really should do both early on until you have entities that will take care of all this for you. It's important to know not to obsess about such things, most infringement cases will do more harm than good to an unestablished writer. Just keep your head about you, register your work, and most importantly, write that killer script.

JustinoIV
09-11-2004, 04:19 PM
And what is the final draft? The final draft (the draft just before the script gets sold), may not come into being until months, if not years after the very first draft was completed!

Therefore, an early LOC or WGA registration is sufficient, provided that you kept all your drafts saved and can therefore prove the transition from first to final draft.

And yes, do not obsess about such things. The last thing most would be writers should worry about is theft. More energy should be spent on whether or not anyone will ever read it!

filmcarver
09-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Exactly right J

"Just as so far as YOU are concerned."

The real final draft will be well out of your hands should you be so lucky as to sell the work.

One registry should be fine. Again, a copyright is a firmer legal ground to the work than registry, however, and it should be filed. It's a decision that rarely will have any real impact, but like catastrophic illness, is always a remote possibility.