PDA

View Full Version : "Studios and producers... like squirrels stashing nuts&

LauriD
09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Got the following from a company offering a new service revealing what the "hot" genres are going to be in the coming months. (Psst... it's COMEDIES and THRILLERS. Wow... Who knew?) ;)

Any comments?

LauriD

-----------------

"The buzz in the press, and the word of mouth
among the execs, producers and agents around town
in our survey indicate now is the beginning of a very real
but different spec season because there will be Union strikes
(WGA, SAG) in 2005."

"The studios and producers are coming back from the summer
with a serious intent to buy specs NOW, and in the next few months. They're like squirrels stashing away nuts for the winter, because the upcoming strikes of the Writers Guild and SAG would prohibit them from buying specs from signatories during the strike. In fact, according to the trades, and our market research, the Agencies have recently fired a good number of agents because they think the Union strikes will happen. (down sizing?)"

"(Last time, the strikes were averted.....but this time, may be different and now may be the 'tipping point.')"

LauriD
09-11-2004, 09:05 PM
92 views and NOBODY has any comments on whether this is true or total BS??

Geez, you guys savin' it for the Nicholl/agent thread or what?

;)

LauriD

Unca Leo
09-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Could there be a strike? Yes. Will there be a strike? I don't know. And it really shouldn't matter in how a writer conducts themselves at this point. You do what you do, which is 'write'. Leave the labor machinations up to the people whose job it is to...machinate?

Steve
09-11-2004, 10:55 PM
If the studios were stockpiling scripts then the agents would be very busy. So agencies wouldn't be firing.

Plus, the DGA contract is set to expire at the same time as WGA and SAG so I don't know why the ad doesn't mention that. And I don't think a SAG strike can prevent anyone from buying scripts, just like a WGA strike can't prevent actors from taking a job.

So, overall, I'd say this is a lot of bullshit