PDA

View Full Version : SCRIPT SERVICES

RockBum
09-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Hollywood Litsales, Script SHack, and others. Are they worth it? Their coverage is one thing -- but do meaningful people read their "recommends" and "considers?" (hope this is the right place to poast this). thx

JustinoIV
09-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I don't know about places like Hollywood Lit Sales. However, there are professional screenwriters who will give you coverage for a fee. Said person should be able to pass along your work to producers and/or agents (as many reads occur only from industry recommendation, so you want someone powerful enough to do this). Just check up on whoever you're going to pay to do this.

Sometimes, if the script is something that they are interested in, producers and directors will be willing to give you free coverage.

I'd written a couple of Latin themed scripts. Latino producers and directors were more than willing to give me coverage (for free of course)

If you can find knowledgable production assistant, agent assistants, etc. these people too can provide coverage (and you never know, some of these people will be producers or agents soon or might be able to pas you along)

RockBum
09-04-2004, 06:54 PM
didn't mean to write "poast" - I swear!

OrpheusMc
09-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Rockburn, the issue of whether to pay for notes services has been a long, long debated thing on this board. Some are galled by the idea. I think it's worth it under certain conditions:

You have a script, you're taking it upon yourself to make it the best it can be, but you don't have access to expert feedback.

If so, a screenplay service is a bargain. For the price of 10 script copies and mailings you can get expert feedback from a pro like Ext. (DD's home-grown king of notes. )

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...=663.topic (http://p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealfrm22.showMessage?topicID=663.topic)

Having gotten such notes a few times by now, I can say I learn a ton more useful information than I ever did from the 4 months of follow-up calls regarding all those times I mailed 10 scripts. Or 20. Or 25.

As for the service forwarding the script to producers-- if it's that you probably didn't need to use the service to begin with. Such is a nice brass-ring to reach for when going to a service, but most scripts will turn out not to be ready for that pass-along.

So is it better to just submit to the film company instead? Rarely.

If you don't get that all-important consider from the film company you submitted to, they're rarely disposed to articulate why in a useful manner. I swear they'll just tell you something general like 'make it funner' just to get you off the phone. A service is a safer bet because they want you to keep coming back and submitting your stuff. You gain feedback, but you don't expend valuable connections if they hated it.

This and more is discussed in the Service and Software forum- where this thread will likely be moved.

-OMc

Ravenlocks01
09-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Don't go looking for pros to give you coverage in the expectation that they'll pass your work along. Most likely they won't. Because most likely it isn't ready to be passed along.

Naturally I haven't read your work, which may be the best thing since sliced bread, but many people put their work out there before it's ready and get disappointed when nobody bites (sorry for the mixed metaphors).

JustinoIV
09-05-2004, 05:02 PM
However, all the pros I spoke to, when I considered paying for script coverage (luckily I was able to find people who were willing to do it for free) were those who would have been willing to pass my work along. Usually, if you feel you have a good working relationship with a pro, you'd send them more than one script or maybe send them a rewrite until you've properly learned screenwriting.

And when you get to that stage, any pro whom you've paid money to should be able to make recommendations to producers and agents. Think of it as similiar to you taking classes at the university, doing well, and having your professors write recommendations for you.

Boobsie Malone
09-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Professional screenwriters who will give coverage for a fee?

Are they not making enough money from screenwriting?

OrpheusMc
09-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Do pros make enough money? The Biz is a bitch, Boobsie.

Having worked in a non-writing capacity about 20 feet from the staff writers room of a TV show, I can understand why pros don't always make enough money.

I saw 11 perfectly qualified writers get kicked to the curb for no reason. Of that bunch, four were stuck acting as writing teams (meaning they had to split their paychecks), and one was a feature writer who had had been paid to write two movies only to see the producers lose their funding. Another was a TV writer who'd been stuck out of work for four seasons.

Judge not til ye walk a mile in their precarious high heeled pumps, Boobsie.

JustinoIV
09-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Well,let's say you are a screenwriter who has written a long list of acclaimed/best selling movies.

You have no obligation to mentor or to help newbie writers with their craft. For those that do it for free, excellent.

I'm sure there are more than a few highly successful screenwriters who are not willing to help anyone they aren't close it. So even if they charge money, if they are professional screenwriters be grateful that they are willing to help total strangers.