PDA

View Full Version : producing it yourself

dudecar96
08-29-2004, 07:57 PM
okay, I have got five grand saved up. peanuts I know, but @#%$ it, I want to turn my script into a movie somehow, and I can't rely on hollywood to read it, let alone buy it.

so how do I go about makin it myself? I need a place to start and do some heavy research.

Fortean
08-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Unless you make a video, (which does not transfer very well onto film for a theatrical release), just the cost of raw film stock and processing the negative will eat up most, (if not all), of that grub stake.

Do a bit of research into how Robert Rodriguez, Kevin Clark, and Darren Aronofsky got their first feature films made.

Rockridesva
08-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Go DV with a canon Xl-1. You can even buy a camera now a days for like $600-800. The tapes are cheap, and it's not total crap quality. It's not film, but it's a possibility to get it made :-)

jimjimgrande
08-30-2004, 08:48 AM
a friend of mine made a DV feature for about that or a little less.

He starred in it himself - so he didn't have to pay a lead actor - the other actors got deferred pay too

He didn't pay for any locations or food.

The DP was a guy who had his own DV camera and wanted to do it to build up his reel

He shot a lot of exteriors and used natural light. He incorporated handheld camera, a gritty sense, and imperfect lighting into the style of the picture.

He found free editing space to use in the middle of the night

He used the money to pay for tape stock, some dubbing (unavoidable), and batteries.

I think your story has to fit the low budget look you're going to get, so consider that.

See LAWS OF GRAVITY - the benchmark (imho) for this kind of filmmaking

norgard
08-30-2004, 06:37 PM
First check out 2pop www.2-pop.com There you will find many many threads about low budget filmmaking. For $5000 you will have to shoot video. That's ok. There have been several succesful films shoot on Mini Dv including Tadpole, Chuck and Buck, and Full Frontal. My choice in cameras would be the DVX100. It shoots at 24 fps and mimics a film look. I don't really agree with the few locations rule as with DV you can change locations fairly easily. I do however think you should think about something that has a very limited cast. Poor acting is the hallmark of low budget productions. Get the best actors you can find and keep the cast small in order to keep up the quality in that department. If you are in L.A or Miami area e-mail me at lindsaynorgard2002@yahoo.com and I will hook you up with some people who have the equipment Cameras, Lights,mics, Dollys etc and the experience to make your $5000 film a reality.

bottomlesscup
09-02-2004, 09:41 AM
For $5K, you're going to have to get a cheaper camera than the XL-1 or the DVX100. They both cost between $3000 and $4000.

You might want to try looking around for someone who has a decent camera. They're everywhere and I don't think you'll have any problem finding some help. Try Craig's List for a start.

At that budget level, you'll have to accept some limitations for your film. It's going to look like DV, 24p or not. You'll have to write your script with the budget in mind (ie. no car chases, etc.) You're going to have to do a lot of begging - you can't pay anyone.

There's some great books out there. Check out the "Film and TV" section at your local Barnes & Noble. See which book sounds best to you.

Good luck.

KWVillen
09-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Here is a good site that will answer all of your questions.
indieclub.com/ (http://indieclub.com/)

KW

Stinger
09-02-2004, 02:53 PM
You can rent these things as well as buy. A place in Boston rents the xl1s for about $585 a week, including sound and lighting kits. I'm sure you can find similar in any major city.

Thanks norgard and kwvillen for the links. I'm looking into doing this as well and am gathering all the info I can find.

norgard
09-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Rent it. DVX100 will give you a pretty nice film look. Best bet though is panasonic's fairly new SDX900 the perfect low budget indie cam. It shoots 24 frames and compares very nicely with HD varicam. Looks excellent blown up to 35mm as well. It has convinced DP friends of mine who have been shooting film for many years.

esdavis88
09-02-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm currently shooting with two panasonics - the dvx100 and 100a. Great cameras, worth looking into. Also keep in mind the XL-2 is coming out very soon.

Like others have said, you can do research and find people with their own equipment who are willing to work for free or deferred payment.

This is also a great place to hang out -- www.ifp.org/ (http://www.ifp.org/)

also check out -- the complete film production handbook
by Eve Light Honphaner

bottomlesscup
09-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Also keep in mind the XL-2 is coming out very soon.

Those Canon bastards! They wait till I buy one to release the new one. >:

norgard
09-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I have been hearing rumors of a XL2 for about two years now. Don't hold your breath. Pick the best camera within your budget range. Seriously look in to the SDX900 if you have a short shooting schedule. You won't be dissapointed.I own a DVX100 as well ,good camera but you will need to know its limitations. Of course the big XL2 rumor is that it will be Hi Def, 24p, and native widescreen capable.

donald gregory
09-03-2004, 12:25 PM
the XL2 isn't hi-def, but has 24p and full resolution 16x9

bottomlesscup
09-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Ugh. No hi-def? Why would they release a camera that's basically already a generation old?

Panasonic has had (pseudo) hi-def in a handheld for almost a year. The XL1's been out for 7 years, is this the best they can do in a new gen?

norgard
09-03-2004, 05:10 PM
To bad about the XL2. Below is the link to the Sony prototype to the new generation HD consumer format which will revolutionize low budget production much the way DV did when it came out. Don't wait though for your film. Shoot it now. Heck I would even hiring a has been name actor for $1000 for a day shoot. Yes you can do it for $5000.

www.camcorderinfo.com/content/ sony-hdv-prototype-camcorder-03_17_04.htm