PDA

View Full Version : I vs i

keithtowers
08-27-2004, 04:13 AM
Is it usual these days to use a lower case (i) as a pronoun. I can't help thinking that a script reader who has, or should have a high knowledge of English grammar, doesn't actually get pissed off every time he or she sees this rule ignored. I know it irritates me, because, like most people who want to write well, and who enjoys the use of language, I see it as shoddy and unprofessional. I am no scholar, I come from a working class background. But I do try my hardest to get the spelling and the grammar right.

Controversial as ever.

Keith

Hamboogul
08-27-2004, 04:35 AM
i CONCUR

Augie Kestrel
08-27-2004, 05:25 AM
No, it's not a normal thing to see in a script. I think its use started when people started sending messages on their pagers. They just want to avoid the extra time it takes to "shift" to a capital letter.

I'd never use the word "i" in a script, although I don't think it would be a deal-breaker if I did. I'm guessing that it's used primarily by young people. I don't think William Goldman has adopted the practice.

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
08-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Only two people could get away with writing "I" as "i" (which is, as you say, utterly incorrect): Bob Dylan in his liner notes, and (I spell it as he did) the poet (and sometimes novelist) e.e. cummings.

(And why is this a "business" question?)

NikeeGoddess
08-27-2004, 12:21 PM
however, many of the screenwriting software programs will capitalize words that they assume should be capitalized. so you can become lazy and never use the shift key for lack of practice ;)