PDA

View Full Version : need attorney producer crying breach

Rockridesva
08-24-2004, 10:01 PM
I have a large contract with a producer, who is crying breach at several inanimate things. It seems every day there is something new, this obviously opens my eyes to the fact that this producer has no intention of paying me for the full amount agreed upon. So now I just want to meet somewhere in the middle and agree on a buyout. Which we had done, and then he disappeared for 3 days, and said something else was wrong, so now I was in breach again, and he lowered the offer to almost nothing, literally. I need an attorney. It's not significant cash, but I'd be willing to pay someone to help ease this along into an agreeable buyout. Any suggestions? I'd prefer hearing from attorneys, rather then suggestion on who to go to. But obviously I'm willing to hear both.

Hugh Jardon
08-25-2004, 07:23 AM
did you not have an attorney look at
this contract before you signed?

moorea01
08-25-2004, 09:12 AM
That's my first question for you - where is the attorney who looked over the contract/gave input on the contract before you signed?

I'm assuming from your post looking for an attorney, you didn't have one. I won't go into why that was a bad idea - I think you may realize that now.

If the producer is saying you breached the contract, he must be able to articulate what clauses you breached, etc.

What is he saying you did to breach it? And, in your honest opinion, did you do anything to breach it?

Rockridesva
08-25-2004, 09:23 AM
The contract was written up by an attorney, who is out of touch. It's a good contract, I've used it for multiple jobs now. The newest cry over a "breach" was that I had put some parts of the script in the wrong font. Which is BS, and seeing how this job ended 6 months ago, a little late. I told him, I did not put it into the wrong font, and that I'd correct it for him, but that it is in no way a breach. Even if the font was off, the contract does not specify to that. I mean, this is just on a long list of things this guy tells me is in breach. For the last 4 months it has been every week, at least once. All I need is an attorney to contact him, I really think that'll shut him down. We had a contractual buyout, ready to go, then he decided no at the final minute (literally). So I just want to part my ties, take my lose, and move on.

He's cried breach over about eight to ten different matters, each of which I've proven my case, and we've moved on. It's at this time that he is just searching for a way to lose me, and keep the cut of the money.

filmcarver
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Your attorney is "out of touch"?? Is this a new virus?

Your friend there has no intention of paying you squat. There are plenty of entertainment attorneys, some listed here.

If what you say is accurate, and the producer has assets to derive a settlement, the attorney will probably take a cut and get his fee in the settlement.

Now go forth and prosper.

moorea01
08-25-2004, 06:25 PM
How is it that your attorney is out of touch? Is he on a vacation? If so, let the producer know (preferably in writing) that all future conversations/communication must be handled through your attorney and wait till he/she is back in town.

If the attorney is with a firm, then have the firm's receptionist put you in touch with whichever associate/partner is handling the attorney's clients/cases in his absence. That attorney should be happy to assist you if all is as you say it is.

If he's out of touch in some more permanent way (??) and has no one handling his clients, then you will really need to contact an entertainment attorney - preferably one local to either you or the producer. Most lawyers will provide a free consultation, but then it's gonna cost you (even for just sending a letter.;) ) Nobody likes to work for free.

No attorney that I know will simply send a letter/call the guy on your behalf simply because you gave a vague description of what is going on. If he/she's a good attorney, he won't do anything without knowing a much more detailed accounting of what has transpired including reading the contract that is in question.

Sounds like you've fallen in with a shady producer. Good luck getting it all worked out!