PDA

View Full Version : Studio/Your Script - How Long?

Trapper1
08-02-2004, 10:36 PM
My writing partner has an agent who got her script to a studio and a powerful exec' there. We all thought she'd hear something in a day or two, but it's been nearly two weeks.

The problem is all we ever seem to hear is the success stories where the writer got the deal that afternoon or the very next day. Anyone know of success tales where it took several weeks? I'm sure it happens. Of course this scenario involves a studio we've all had various prods keep us waiting.

P.S. The agent has followed up, but got the "haven't got to it yet."

jimjimgrande
08-03-2004, 12:30 AM
since it doesn't sound like the agent went out wide with the script as a spec, there isn't any urgency on the part of the exec to read it.

If that's the case, there's no set time if any for the exec to respond.

Mijorico
08-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I think what is happening to you is more common than the "overnight success stories." I'll give you an example. Last year, when I was still in college, one of my former teachers called me. She informed me that an agent from Genesis had contacted the Television Writing department, which is the class I had with her, and wanted some of the best student scripts. I brought in my That 70s Show spec, and it was sent off with the few others. I contacted that teacher a month or so later, and she hadn't heard anything from the agent. She told me that the agent seemed kind of "flaky." She also said that it was not pilot season, so that may be another reason for the agent not contacting. A year later, nothing has come of it, and the agent may, very possibly, not even be an agent anymore. I now know from personal experience that if you want to be a writer, there's going to be a lot of that type of waiting going on.

ExtHollywoodDay
08-08-2004, 12:26 PM
And now Genesis isn't even there any more.

As to the original question, I can vouch that it is possible to sell a script to a studio and not have it be that overnight answer. Even with the benefit of multiple studios considering the project, it still took about a week and a half for a conclusive offer to come.

However, if this is happening right now I wouldn't take that as a good sign. My deal was brokered late in February of that year, when the development world is busy. Right now it's not.

-Ext

trilby1000
08-08-2004, 08:18 PM
I don't have an agent but I got a script referred to a studio story department. They called after two months. They passed but talked to me about it and other story things for about twenty minutes. I gave them the concept for my next script and they wanted to see it right away. Too bad it wasn't written yet but I got a synopsis off to them the following week. Two weeks later they said they'd pass for now (stupid me, I should have waited 'til I had more written) but they wanted to see my next project. I sent them a treatment two weeks ago for a script I wrote a while back. If they like it, I'll give the script a polish or two.

I haven't heard back yet but I sent them an e-mail last week letting them know I'm into the next script and I'm incorporating the suggestions they gave me for what they want in a story.

So don't put too much faith in those nay sayers who say two weeks is too much time. Twos have worked okay for me.

Toodle-oo!