PDA

View Full Version : Pseudonyms

Trapper1
07-20-2004, 09:31 AM
I've read that some novelists use pseudonyms to put out other books. Is this found in the screenwriting world? I can imagine a A-lister writing the occasionally B or direct to video for some side cash (if they even need it) under a false name.

pnugentr
07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
By definition, A-Listers don't need side cash. I am sure it happens but it's not common.

Trapper1
07-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Forget the side cash. What about big studio writers who moonlight in the dvd market because there they can tell a smaller story or what about if they have a low budget script sitting in their drawer. It's not going to Dreamworks. But then again maybe it will, I'm just wondering if this happens.

Done Deal
07-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Any A-list writer is going to be in the WGA which would prohibit them from doing this per my understanding of it all. They can't just go work on non-union pictures which most if not all B-films and DVD movies would be.

Novelist can do pretty much whatever they want because there is no Guild so I don't think you can really compare the two. Maybe someone currently in the Guild can shed some more or different light on this but I can't imagine ANY big writers doing this or being able to do this.

Unca Leo
07-20-2004, 09:01 PM
You can use a pseudonym that is registered with the Guild. Which makes it kind of not anonymous at all.

Kel
07-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Good to know.

Incidentally, I've combed through the names registered with the guild, and I've decided to use "Ryne Pearson."

k

jkk808
07-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Ryne Pearson doesn't sound like a very good name for a writer. Might be a good name for a plumber though.

I'd sleep on it and try again Kel.

Unca Leo
07-21-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm telling the hamsters that their mommy doesn't love them anymore.

Kel
07-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Leo,

We're discussing pseudonyms here. I think we'd all appreciate it if you wouldn't derail the topic with your random, alcohol-induced meanderings.

--Ryne Pearson

Sledgeh101
07-23-2004, 05:53 AM
Novelist can do pretty much whatever they want because there is no Guild so I don't think you can really compare the two. I'm actually a bit curious about this - I thought that the WGA was the union for ALL writers, not just screenwriters? After all, the W stands for writers, not for screenWriters. That, and the WGA (East, at least) accepts novels for cateloging purposes.

Speezer
07-23-2004, 07:18 AM
The WGA is not a guild for all writers. For the most part, only film and television writers are members.