PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling tips ??

Tuco 68
06-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Okay, so I'm ready to start querying production companies suitable for my material, but I'm unsure how the pitch should be delivered. What's the general approach here?

Do I start with my "credentials" such that they are? Or do I go straight to the reason I chose them and then try to pitch from there?

I guess what I'm looking for is an opening line akin to what is generally acceptable within the industry. Is there such a thing even? Do I ask for the developement exec? Should I target the assistants?

Anybody have a method they can recommend? Thanks in advance.

t68

MacG
06-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Step one is trying to get past the receptionist to someone in development when you say you're an unrepped writer.

(*Note: be prepared for the "We-don't-accept-unsolicited-material" line followed by a *click*)

Step two would be getting the CE of DOD to hear you out once he / she finds out your're an unrepped writer.

(*Note: SEE ABOVE NOTE)

Chances are slim -- not non-existent, mind you, but slim -- you'll progress any farther than this.

If you DO, pat yourself on the back and be prepared to offer a VERY BRIEF pitch of your project. Like, fifteen seconds max. The ol' "it's-like-BLANK-meets-BLANK" would probably be your best approach.

Good luck --

Hamboogul
06-28-2004, 08:57 AM
My tip is for you to buy a copy of Hollywood Creative Directory or sign up for www.hcdonline.com and find out the appropriate contact info of the person you want to reach.

THEN YOU WRITE THEM A LETTER OR AN EMAIL.

These people get inundated with calls during the day. They don't want to hear from you. Now I'm sure there'll be a bunch of DDers who'll chime in with "But I got thru and got read at CAA" and stuff. But trust me, that's rare.

You'll be placing an unfair burden on them to listen to your pitch and be polite. Whereas if you shoot them an email or a letter, they'll actually get the chance to read your logline.

Ivylilly
06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Just remember one thing. Each time you do get past an assistant and end up talking to someone important, the moment they hang up the phone, that assistant is either being fired or yelled at like you won't believe (regardless of whether they liked your pitch or not).

As an unrepped new writer, you should not be talking to CEs or DODs, you should be talking to their assistants. They are your door into the prodco because they will be reading and covering your script anyway. If you want to talk to someone, talk to them. Plus it is much much easier to get past a receptionist if you ask for SO-AND-SO's office rather than SO-AND-SO directly. And most ranking execs, no matter how mean and stingy, tend to listen to their assistants' opinions.

dclary
07-08-2004, 03:55 PM
When I called Arnold's agent to pitch Kindergarten Cop 2, I ended up with his agents's assistant, who spent some fair amount of time talking to me, offering advice, and generally being helpful.