PDA

View Full Version : What's the reasonable share for partnership?

angelgang
06-24-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm working with American writing partner(produced) on my original project, since I'm not in the States and English is not my mother tongue.
Now he wants to Englishlize my script, just trimming it down, not revising any story.

Making a contract before work, what's the reasonable share for us when we get paid?

Is there any usual practice for this case?

Any info will be appreciated.

pnugentr
06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
It sounds like you are not writing partners. You should be paying him already as an editor and as a translator. But if he isn't asking for it, good enough. Unless you resolve it ahead of time, I would preapre for a 50/50 split.

LaTaGu
06-25-2004, 07:02 PM
When you write something you own that property and all versions, adaptations, and translations.

If someone translates it, they're not creating anything new for the work. They're just providing a service for you.

I definitely wouldn't make someone a 50:50 partner just based on the fact that that person is doing translation work. They'd have to contrbute much more (in the role of producer -- eg, know-how, deal-making abilities, connections) in order to get a half interest in that screenplay.

If the person wants to be a co-author (for copyright purposes) and isn't contributing anything orginal, creative and substantial, well, I wouldn't agree to that if I were you. Perhaps you could offer to give a % of whatever you make from the script (and you should cap it). Alternatively, you two could form a production company into which you liscense the copyright in your script (which you keep only in your name). You can agree to share the profits anyway you please, but the copyright would always be yours alone. (In that case, you should make sure a lawyer looks over your partnership agreement so that you make sure that you can dissolve the partnership and the copyright vests in you alone).

Bottom line: don't make someone a co-author unless they're actually doing creative work on you script, and translation is not sufficiently creative (and you own all the translation rights anyway).

angelgang
06-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Thanks for your inputs, pnugentr and LaTaGu.

LaTaGu, I agree with your opinion, because my partner says my work only needs upgrade in language, not in storyline. He loved it as it is.

And I did the first translation work by myself and he wants to elaborate it with a minor editing.

What do you think is the reasonable share for him? What persontage of the profit would you offer if you were me.

Do I have to consult with a lawyer?

angelgang
06-28-2004, 06:03 AM
LaTaGu, sorry but would you please email me with any advice about this problem? If you feel bothered, you may post it here. Thanks.

My email is

angelkang@hotmail.com