PDA

View Full Version : Rewrite?

mucky
06-24-2004, 09:35 AM
So I have a question for you all:
I recently sent a script to a fairly well-known/respected production company. The script was rejected, but I did receive three pages (!) of really detailed and remarkably useful notes.

I'm thinking that I should rewrite the script, taking all the notes into account, and see about resubmitting it to the production company. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I realize they will be getting a free rewrite out of me, but I honestly don't care. I just want to sell this script and like I said, their notes are really useful.

Thanks,
Zoe

E J Pennypacker
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Zoe --

That is very rare, if not, completely the first time I've ever heard a Prod. Company actually do that for a writer.

Did they say if you implemented the notes - they would consider again?

The thing is, that's one person opinion. Do you agree with all the notes? Is there anyone you can bounce those ideas off of?

I'd try to get a few peoples opinions before re-writing based purely on those notes. People you trust. That sorta thing.

Regards,

EJ

toto1958
06-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Rewrite it, send it in, if they reject it then turn to other companies and try to sell it to them. You won't lose anything if you rewrite it, as long as its not real difficult.

gaterooze
06-24-2004, 09:13 PM
If you agree with the notes -- implement them to the best of your ability. Think only about making your script the best it can be.

Once you've achieved that, submit it anywhere you like & be sure to send the folks who gave you great notes a thank-you for their interest. If they're intrigued enough to want to read it again, they well might.

In any event, it's what the producer would call a win-win situation: they sent you notes to make the script better & you used the info for that purpose.

Good luck.

Hugh Jardon
06-25-2004, 01:46 PM
My guess is they gave you notes for precisely
the reason you suspect. They want you to do
a free rewrite and resubmit, but they can't
legally request that without optioning the
material first, so they're leaving it up to you.

Like others have said, if you feel the notes
make the story stronger, go for it. Use this
as an entree to developing a relationshp with
them. And take it from there.

ComicBent
06-26-2004, 10:24 AM
What Hugh said makes good sense. I don't think they made notes for no reason.

mucky
06-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Thank you all for your great advice. I'm starting on the rewrite ASAP.
--Zoe