PDA

View Full Version : Question about life rights contract

filmtexas79
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi folks,
My first post here and hopefull the first of many more!

I have a question about a life rights contract that my friend signed. He is an old man who was taken advantage of and signed a life contract agreement a few years ago without a lawyer. The contract stated that he agrees to give all rights to this individual who was interested in developing a movie based on his life. He received XX.XX dollars up front (what a joke) and the contract was to be perpetual.

Well, it has been over 3 years now and the individual he sold his life to has yet to come up with any money, etc. Now, there's a major studio that wants to develop his life into a movie and they are ready to move on it.

Do you know if it's possible for him to get out of the contract and sign with the big dogs? Remember, he signed the original contract in the first place because he was piss-poor and was old and didn't know any better. Now he's older and probably won't live much longer, but he wants to see this thing made into a film and is willing to go to court and get his "life back".

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Can anyone supply some much needed advice on what should be done?

Thanks.

jimjimgrande
06-14-2004, 07:00 PM
the studio lawyers shuld be able to take care of the previous bozo, you just have to break the news to them that he exists without scaring them off. If they really want his story, they'll take care of the other guy and it's better to be up front about it than risk getting blidsided by a nuisance lawsuit down the road.

filmtexas79
06-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Yea, the old man told them already. They are going to offer two terms: 1.) Take the money and run OR 2.) Face the biggest court battle of your life

Ivylilly
06-14-2004, 11:33 PM
If the contract is legal, there is nothing they can do but offer the guy a paycheck and hope he goes away. But whatever it is, leave it up to the studio's bus. affairs people and stay out of it. Because the last thing you want to do is make the matters worse.

LaTaGu
06-18-2004, 12:30 AM
or transcribe it?

LaTaGu
06-18-2004, 12:32 AM
... (must read other posts first).

toto1958
06-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Can we say "leach" boys and girls?