PDA

View Full Version : Which Genre lends itself better to distribution?

naimas
06-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi,

I checked the search again and couldn't find anything like my question.

I am going to fund a production company to develop my script. I currently have two scripts and both are from different genres.

One is horror, the other a drama.

I know there are mountains to tackle besides production. Which genre lends itself better to "distribution" or would best to start out with?

I noticed a different thread about what genre of scripts sell, but this won't need to be bought in the general sense. Both would be lower budget with probably limited release to start (like Halloween started)

I keep noticing a huge amount of horror titles at the Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. New ones keep coming in like Adam and Evil, etc. These are movies that look ridiculous yet are out in the open. Would horror be a better genre to start as far as it I was looking to recoup in distribution?

The drama is a dark drama and has some tense elements and is more of a white collar cover-up crime drama. Sorry that I am being vague. The storyline is the type that if I tell it I sell it.

Both scripts are lower budgets of up to 5 to 10 mil. The drama one is lower than the horror.

Thanks for any replies.

Bess McNeil
06-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Horror.

naimas
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
You people ROCK. You are so fast!

sppeterson
06-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Horror from here too. I think it can also be significantly easier to market a script if it falls under a $5 million budget--perhaps ideally in a 1-3 million dollar range. For that stick to a single location and small cast.

pnugentr
06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
You have ten million dollars!?!?!?! Dang!

zweldy
06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Unless the drama has phenom potential like the Usual Suspects and the horror is sub-Corman, the least risky and smartest move has to be to go with the horror one first. Always easier to sell and recoup your funds.

E J Pennypacker
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Action. Horror. Drama. Or all three :)

EJ

SebsWrtrDad
06-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I agree with Mr. Pennypacker's first two, but not drama. (the usual 'only my opinion caveats apply- :D )

Although I guess what kind of distribution is what matters. Int'l is usually action, comedy and horror. Because all three translate beyone language and culture. But different countries won't get drama, plus it is more dialogue driven, hence not as easy to distribute Int'l as the other three.

In fact, drama is a tough sell, period unless it is really, really special. Like 'Big Chill' special.

So go with your horror.

bottomlesscup
06-11-2004, 06:27 AM
As Lloyd "Troma" Kaufmann puts it, "There's always a market for boobs and blood."

naimas
06-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Boobs and blood are cool with me. Thanks for the replies.

AKASHAQUEENOFALLVAMPS
06-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Actually A good horror film's budget doesn't have to be in the millions unless your attaching all A list actors, its not nessecary(Spelled wrong) for the international market, Why is your budget so high for? Thats not low budget its medium, were doing a Vampire movie with a producer almost attached from Mandalay and its only 500 hundred thousand more then enough to make this awsome, film, Were using an all unknown cast. It always makes me wonder why people just put a 5-10 million dollar price tag when asked how much their budget is, production budget has nothing to do with the actors. Thats alot of money.Alot.

donald gregory
06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Horror, easily...

The best markets distributors are looking at right now, according to what i'm told is:

horror
urban (especially urban women)
chidren's

And yes, you definitely don't need anywhere need 5-10 mill to make a good movie.

My next movie I'll be thrilled if I have anywhere near a $100k for its budget.

filmcarver
06-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Action will get the quickest read. They will immediately ask you the main pitch, and if they like it, will tell you to send the script.

Action flicks do well overseas and have less dialogue, which means lower re-production cost for dubbing etc. They generally do the best along with Horror on direct to DVD sales here and internationally.

Good horror was, is, and will always be in demand, and for the most part tend to fall in the low to mid production cost.

Of course, this is all about being driven by the market and trying to create a sale....not the path of long term writing career, but certainly better than doing nothing.

Best of luck

JustinoIV
06-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Horror is perhaps the easiest. Horror films are the one can of Hollywood movie that do not need big actor attachments.

naimas
06-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I agree with you. In fact I think some horror films would have been better WITHOUT stars attached to them. Especially when they have to get B-level actors. I would rather see fresh faces than people I mentally connect with bad movies. I have picked up DVD covers and looked at the back and then I saw tired Grade B actor's picture there and put it down. I think B-level actors can be a liability.

WritingPro
06-16-2004, 10:25 PM
I agree -- horror is the way to go. I hope you have much success, and if you are open to looking at some creepy compelling horror scripts. I have a horror script that will be of interest to you.

If you would like to learn more about it and take a look at it, please contact me at:

czentertainment@hotmail.com

We may be able to set up at partnership to get it produced.

Best Regards,

Jay

LaTaGu
06-17-2004, 11:28 PM
...with MAJOR sequel potential.