PDA

View Full Version : For Story Analysts Who Broke In Cold

Frank Jud
06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
AKA for working professionals who called & or mailed their way into their first paying reading gig:

Decided to try harder to get work as story analyst. Talked to a working one (large prod co.). Read T.L. Katahn's book again. If you would be so kind to answer these questions, how I'd appreciate it you'll never know...

Assuming American co.'s make films no matter what the economy, I'm working for a medium size co. with no sliding pay scale and I'm charging $35 for a script and $70 for a book or miniseries script --

- How long at companies heels was it before you landed your first paying gig?

- About how many scripts a week can I expect to be given at lowest level of seniority?

- Generally, how consistent is work?

- How long do "dry spells" last?

- Are my fees too high or low?

Any feedback would be appreciated. In situations like this, I don my "cut & paste" cape --

Ivylilly
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
My first reading gig resulted from an unpaid internship. My second was the recruitment out of film school. In my experience, readers at production companies aren't just reading (I wasn't). They are also doing development and are full time employees. I read about 2 scripts a day (with coverage and or notes) and scanned about 4/5 more without.

I honestly never heard of anyone getting a reading gig through querying. Some of my friends still do it freelance for prodcos (35-50 per general coverage sounds about right, I think, but devt. notes cost much more). Most got in either through internship/assistant route or out of film school.

Studios generally can only hire union readers with established rates. I think they get 1.5 scripts a day and are paid far more than any freelance reader. But it is not easy to get into the union. Hope this helps.