PDA

View Full Version : Price for a first time sale?

night fugue
06-09-2004, 10:17 AM
What should the price be for the sale of a script by a previously uncredited writer to a company that's going to produce it on a $10,000,000 budget?

I've read that the selling price of the script should be roughly 2.5% of the budget. Is this correct?

E J Pennypacker
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
2 or 3% or between that is right.

EJ

Hamboogul
06-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Is this a hypothetical question or something that's possibly realized in the near future?

It's hard for most first time writers to get an amount that's significantly higher than the WGA minimum (assuming this deal is with a WGA-signatory). So you're maybe looking at a deal that falls in the $100K ballpark (WGA minimum for features is around $85K for mid- to large-budget movies, I believe). And the 2 to 3 percent range is way too high then, especially for a first time writer.

If this is a tangible situation and you actually have a prodco willing to invest $10 mil in a movie that you wrote, you should have an agent or a lawyer negotiate the terms for you. Trust me, if the offer is legit and they are serious about developing your script, there's no agency or law firm in town who would not want to negotiate the deal on your behalf.

Ivylilly
06-11-2004, 01:39 PM
If it is a studio feature, 10 mil is still low budget. If you have no "quote" they may offer you scale, which is much less than 2-3%.

wcmartell
06-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Get a lawyer.

If this is just hypothetical - you can pay yourself a zillion dollars.

Every deal is different. $10 million is a low budget studio film, or a big budget indie film. There are a zillion variables. No way to tell what you're going to get paid in the real world.

- Bill