PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Q

Author1979
06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
I know this must have been asked before but I just can't find it. Do I have to wait four or five months to receive a certificate for the registration of my script from the Copyright Office in order to prove that it is mine? When does the material officially become my property ? Thank you.

wcmartell
06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
When you finish writing it, it's yours. The registration number is just added protection if you end up in court.

- Bill

Deus Ex Machine
06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Your copyrights are protected at the moment you write the script. The registration and receiving any proof of registration have nothing to do with it.

bottomlesscup
06-10-2004, 05:12 PM
If you're just worried that it's taking too long - yes, it usually takes several months for the papers to arrive.

Author1979
06-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Thank you.

xtz
06-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Anything you write is your property as and when your write it - registration is just so you can prove that later if you have to.

The certificate will take some weeks to arrive - but your registration will run from the day they get it (as the certificate will show).

For complete peace of mind there are of course various methods of having the delivery recorded so you can be sure they got it and it didn't go astray in the post.