PDA

View Full Version : mid-six figures against seven???

aparries
06-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I see it all the time: Some big company picks up a script for six figures against seven, but what does it mean? I know what it means if it says someone got a high six figures, but a mid-six "against" something? Can someone help me?

whistlelock
06-03-2004, 08:53 AM
the answer you seek is in the second FAQ section.
the thread titled "what does 200,000 against 5,000,000 mean?" or something to that effect.

I highly recomend you read through all of the FAQ threads. They'll answer 98% of the questions you didn't even know you had.

wcmartell
06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
You get six curvey fashion models, but can trade it all for one supermodel.

Six figures is what you get for the script, all of the rewrites, the polish, etc. You don't get it all at once, you get it a bit at a times as you complete the work. Then, if they atually make the film (and they seldom do) you get a production bonus(which brings the total up to seven figures).

A friend sold a script for $1.2 million and made the trades - but all he got was the .2 because the $1 million was the production bonus (and they never made the film) (In fact, I'm not sure they ever intended to make the film).

I'd cross that bridge when you come to it. First you need the script that someone will pay that much for.

- Bill

zz9
06-03-2004, 03:13 PM
but all he got was the .2
For lots of people that's still a nice bit of pocket change!

But I suppose the main thing is don't spend it all before they start shooting. It may have to last you the next few years!

incrediculous
06-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Bill, why on earth would they give him the work without at least intending to produce the film?

Seems it'd be a frivilous 200k in the debit ledger.

Winter in New York
06-03-2004, 06:02 PM
>You get six curvey fashion models, but can trade it all for one supermodel.

Ah Bill, as always you cut to the crux of the matter. This is indeed why most of us get into the biz!!! :smokin ;)

Unca Leo
06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Just want to point out that mid six fingers against seven is not a good thing.

Carry on.

wcmartell
06-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, they buy a lot more scripts than they produce. Sometimes they have every intention of making a film from the script, but things happen and they shelve the script. A couple of years ago I worked on two big (for me) projects - both shelved forever. They will never be made.

Sometimes scripts are still developed, even though they know the film probably won't be made. The producer needs to look busy, look like he's making movies, so they keep working on a dead project. The writer has no idea it's dead.

Sometimes scripts are bought to take them off the market, and sometimes projects are developed to keep a star attached to another project, and other political reasons. Sometimes they buy a script they have no intention of ever making, just to please somebody.

I was spoiled by cable - where you might *know* that your film will air on March 28 at 9pm the day after they buy your script. Theatrical producers seem like they're in the *development business* rather than the *film production business*. You do a whole lotta work and often have nothing to show for it (except a check).

It's almost impossible to get anything on film.

- Bill

ComicBent
06-05-2004, 11:21 AM
I have always found it fascinating that with some talent, a few connections, and a little luck one could enjoy a very comfortable screenwriting career without ever actually having a script make it to the screen.