PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

heavenlysurfer
05-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I just optioned my first script last week..that's the good news. Now I get an email from another producer-bigger reputaion, etc..also wanting the script (says he has someone lined up wanting just what my script offers)..told him it was optioned to someone else last week...should I try to bring the parties together...or should I just sit back...let my first producer take control...in his hands now with a one year option..how can I turn this into a good thing?

jimjimgrande
05-30-2004, 03:31 PM
it already is a good thing.

You made a deal - bird in the hand is better than a bigger bird in the bush.

I would let it alone and work on my next script, but that's just me.

congrats

heavenlysurfer
05-30-2004, 04:18 PM
On another note..I had sent the bigger producer a copy of the script back in Jan..never heard back...also never heard back from a follow-up email I sent him in April..and now I hear back from him 2 days after optioning the script to another lesser known producer(but he seems "hungry")...

jimjimgrande
05-30-2004, 05:01 PM
sounds like the bigger producer isn't interested in it himself - so no firm offer - just wants to take it to somebody else who, likely in passing conversation, mentioned they were looking for something in that genre.

I don't think it's worth jeopardizing the harmony of a deal that's already in place for what amounts to another submission.

April Hamilton
05-30-2004, 05:07 PM
From the hindsight's 20-20 department:

Next time, before you sign the option agreement, contact anyone else who's requested the spec and not given a final response, to let them know you've got a bite. Give 'em a set limit to reply, like maybe three days, while you review the option contract with an attorney. This will likely prevent the same problem from happening again.

Now, as to your current predicament: the ink's dry, there's nothing legal you can do at this point without getting the smaller-time producer's OK. Not a good idea to go asking him if he'd relinquish his option so you can go after a bigger fish, since he may be small now but it's never a good idea to burn bridges. However, it's becoming increasingly rare for a film to be produced by one, sole entity. Producers tend to team up. The small time producer may be trawling for co-producers already. Because of that, I think it'd be a good idea to let him know about this other guy.

And don't dismiss that bird-in-the-hand remark; there are plenty of producers with "strong interest" and "passion" and all that stuff who never come through with money or a contract, so just because the bigger guy is talking a good game and seems a better prospect doesn't mean you'd have a better shot of getting paid or produced through him.

Hamboogul
05-30-2004, 05:32 PM
btw, this would be a good time for you to ask the producer to get you in touch with an agent that he enjoys working with.

so you can get an agent out of this as well.

heavenlysurfer
05-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

JustinoIV
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Good idea on the agent thing, however, in case the producer is not helpful on that front, just go to www.wga.org Scroll down the lists, and call the agents yourself.

I had a writing assignment (from a credited imdb director producer). He did not at all recommend me to an agent. However, once I told certain people about this ( an agent and a manager), they were interested in reading my work. So I'm waiting to here.

Either way, I'm sure you'll do fine.

marky48
05-30-2004, 08:29 PM
You bought the ticket; you take the ride. See where it leads.

ThunderChikin
05-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Listen to Ham: Ask.