PDA

View Full Version : Any luck marketing yourself through a personal webpage?

elephant1978
05-15-2004, 11:24 PM
I know quite a few people on this board have personal websites that contain bios and loglines for their scripts. I'm curious if anybody has any luck with them--recieved requests, contacts--if so, by who?

Ele...

Alpha286
05-17-2004, 03:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

marky48
05-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Everyone has one, but they will do little good in selling a screenplay, or a book for that matter. Screenplay databases don't produce many sales either if any. Only a good agent working to sell the project will work.

SebsWrtrDad
05-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I think the question was also aimed at people looking for reps. (that way you get a great agent to sell your screenplay)

Now, I don't know that it will really help you. I just can't concieve of what you can put on there to sell yourself hat you couldn't do in person or on the phone - I mean, you have to get them to go to the website right? In that time, couldn't you do all the selling your website does?

But I'd be interested to hear differing opinions or experiances?

marky48
05-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I list links to my online synopses along with my book sites, but other than that I don't see how it will help. I list it in the query, but I don't know if they look.

Justinpz
05-19-2004, 02:52 AM
I intended mine to be more of a business card/ resume. At least that's what it started out to be. It was fun to build and create. It takes imagination and if someone in the industry manages to see it, maybe just maybe they'll ask for a script or writing sample.

I've had people contact me from everywhere. Some productive and some just weird. The point I'm getting at is I'm making contact with people.

I think an agent or producer would rather learn about me on my site than to have me bothering them on the phone.

My opinion. Justinpz -since 1965

here it is...
www.roguewriter.com

peasblossom
05-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Justinpz: Neat site! Has anyone ever told you you look like Joaquin Phoenix (this is a good thing!). Good luck with fishing the waters of the internet!
-Sandy

JustinoIV
05-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Agents and producers are busy people that do not have to go seek out writers. Because anyone truly motivated to find work in the industry will come to them.

I'm sure we can safely say there are no instances of a website leading to a sale.

Legit agents and producers will tell you how many crappy writers are out there. So why would they wade through the internet, when they'd have to shift through so much garbage?

As for bothering people on the telephone, yes, that is still how business is done in Hollywood. This person calls that person to see if their interested in a particular project.

Agents call producers and studio execs to pitch scripts.

Carson Parker
05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
We launched our site last week. Granted, it's for the film's we're producing but I've had a few e-mails from a couple small indies and rep's wanting some writing examples for various reasons.

I think a website is absolutely important. More so for a filmmaker but I would assume any form of online promotion for a writer would help. Especially if you 'focus' your marketing and demographic. Good luck

Indie Film Journey (http://www.indiefilmjourney.com)

InvaderUjin
05-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Some people have had success marketing themselves through a personal webpage.

At the risk of reviving a thread where I come off looking like a jack#$$... :)

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...1007.topic (http://p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealquestionsandadvice.showMessage?topicID=10 07.topic)

Justinpz
05-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments Sandy. I've been told I resemble George Clooney many times.

As for my site, it's about marketing also. You have to switch hats and become a salesman to promote yourself.

Business cards, advertising, web sites, etc.

Justinpz Since 1965

www.roguewriter.com

LoganSF1
05-25-2004, 01:23 PM
They do work. We have had three requests from producers in the last 10 days. And yes, we do have an agent, but... being low on the priority list...

www.conspiracyentertainment.siteblast.com

marky48
05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Your site advertises a vanity press product.

"Our books can be ordered through most bookstores in the US, Canada, and the UK."

But will never be found on shelves in bricks-and-mortar stores. I'm sorry, but the chances of selling one of these to a production company that most on this page are striving for is nil.

Websites are the last place a legitimate request for a screenplay or book rights will ever come from.

LoganSF1
05-25-2004, 04:01 PM
The book cover is nothing more than a visual. The screenplay version of the book has been optioned twice. The First Witness script was recently optioned by a producer who visited our web site. I just love the naysayers out there who have nothing better to do than belittle others. We have sold two features, seven shorts and are currently filming a new reality series in Canada. What have you done Marky48?

marky48
05-25-2004, 05:25 PM
This isn't about belittling. You linked to a vanity press. I looked and since I know a good deal about publishing from actually trying these things myself I call them as I see them. I know who Nick Cavaleri is and actors who he represented. I'm not aware of any sales he's made, but there may be some.

I guess "optioned to whom" is the real question I have since you claim it was from a website?

LoganSF1
05-25-2004, 06:23 PM
That's what I thought. Another failed writer who has nothing better to do.

marky48
05-25-2004, 07:22 PM
So it's right down to name-calling is it?

Here's what I saw at your site: gaudiness and amateur web design; a Burbank agent, gee I had one of those. A vanity press book at center stage; I have two of those. It appears some small indie films and a student film of sorts. A partner that claims to be a model.

A failed writer? Not I. I'm very much in the game. I call things as I see them. My latest book won't be found only on a website because the last two were.

I repeat my question: optioned twice to whom? And found how? By random searches; mentioned in a query?

LoganSF1
05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Your web site is so professional. Another environmental nut on the loose.

www.mayork.blogspot.com (http://www.mayork.blogspot.com)

And vanity press publishers? You're leading the way with three books published by them.

Publisher: America House Book Publishers, Xlibris & iUniverse, Incorporated. Man, those are household names.

Quality writing? Yeah, right. A review from Amazon.com on your latest masterpiece.

Against a Strong Current
by Mark A. York

ISBN: 0738844918
Format: Paperback, 144pp
Pub. Date: December 2000

Publisher: Xlibris Corporation

Clement Brazil, A reviewer, January 26, 2004,

This book was awful:
From the very beginning of this book, I found myself wondering why this book was written. The editing was terrible and the writing style was virtually non-existent. This was, hands down, one of the worst books that I have ever read.

Now, go hug a tree.

marky48
05-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Up yours you stupid a@#hole.

marky48
05-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Amazon reviews that don't say Booklist; Publishers Weekly; Library Journal and Booklist are worthless.

Perhaps you missed my meaning: "My latest book won't be found only on a website because the last two were.

Go ahead analyze my writing amateur. Let's hear some literary criticism.

LoganSF1
05-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Have a good night Mr. Kerry.

dpaterso
05-26-2004, 03:56 AM
Getting back to the original thread topic, ladies...

I'd have to say yes, a web presence can be most useful. Mine has led to interested pings, offers and requests. Some haven't quite worked out the way I'd want them to, others have and currently are. I'm pretty sure a couple of "queries" I received (from untraceable addresses) were DD jokers having a laugh, but most have been serious, and all have been interesting.

And, from a personal viewpoint, having everything collected together in one place helps me enormously! No matter where I am I can access my own stuff.

-Derek
hometown.aol.co.uk/dpater...cripts.htm (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dpaterson57/scripts.htm)

marky48
05-26-2004, 08:16 AM
If you think comparing me, to the next president is somehow disparaging, well that's fine by me.

johnwrites
05-26-2004, 09:02 AM
DP:

Thanks for a coherent response to this thread. You raise a very interesting by-product of the web about having everything all together. I too believe that the internet can be a viable supplement to other marketing avenues.

Better living through writing, John

marky48
05-26-2004, 11:25 AM
It's something that is there, but a sale or an inguiry from a listing on a homepage is extremely rare. Like online only books, this represents a minute part of the market.