PDA

View Full Version : Conference calls

DMNY
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Possibly apart from Jake, who else was able to start a relationship with managers/agents/studios/prodcos through emails and conference calls?
If it worked, were you able to stay where you are instead of flying to LA?

Deus Ex Machine
07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Worked for me.

DMNY
07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
That got to be the shortest answer from you in awhile, DEUM. :p
Were you answering to the first or second Q?
Did you get an option thanks to that? Got an agent or manager?
How long were you able to avoid flying before you met whoever?

phatgirl
07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
It's working for me too. I got a manager through a snail-mail query letter. All script development was done via phone calls, conference calls, emails, and faxing. I've met my manager only 1x so far (not in LA). My script is out now to studios/prodcos.

Deus Ex Machine
07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Agents, yes.
Mangers, yes.
Options, yes.
Need to go to L.A., yes.

Sooner or later, to make a career, you need to get some face time with people. You can put off going to L.A. for as long as you want, but it hurts your career doing so. Most specs just don't sell, no matter how good they are. But a good spec can usually get you meetings which can lead to opportunities. If you are not available for meetings and don't develop relationships with execs and producers who want to work with you, it will limit your opportunities.

:)

DMNY
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Phat, I remembered you saying something about your script. Hope all goes well.
Thank you DEUM. I'm actually happy to hear that at the moment. I am not avoiding or denying the need to be in LA for meetings and all (Flying is somewhat of a little problem with me. I mean I can get into a plane and all. I just get really nervous ) but I look forward to step into LA again.

BROUGHCUT
07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Most specs just don't sell, no matter how good they are. But a good spec can usually get you meetings which can lead to opportunities.

A+.

I remember you LOLing last week at the comment: "The spec market is a writer market rather than a script market". Great progress.

DMNY
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
You know I wuv you guys but stay on the subject here.
Don't you give me that look either, B. :bounce:

writer0825
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Great job phatgirl :rolling: Good luck!!!

Deum, even though you're competition, we welcome you to LA - now go make your plane reservations! (lol):bounce:

Jake Schuster
07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Remember that my partner is L.A.-based, DM, so she can do the face-time whenever necessary. I always make it very clear that I can be in L.A. with a day's notice (even if I was asked in the morning I'd be out there the same day), and can stay as long as necessary.

I used to have an apartment in the Hollywood Hills I could use whenever I liked, but my landlady sold the house and moved to Rome. :(

But the producer is perfectly happy working with us via phone, and we email drafts to her when needed. Bottom line is that it's the work that counts at this stage, not our pretty faces. :love:

writer0825
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
That's hella awesome Jake, good for you :rolling:

DMNY
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I used to have an apartment in the Hollywood Hills I could use whenever I liked, but my landlady sold the house and moved to Rome. :(
On ne s'inquiète pas, on va leur montrer ce dimanche de quel bois on se chauffe, hein? J'apporte la potion, vous apportez les sangliers! Par Toutatis!

But the producer is perfectly happy working with us via phone, and we email drafts to her when needed. Bottom line is that it's the work that counts at this stage, not our pretty faces. :love:
I'll be happy to have a prod just like yours. :)