PDA

View Full Version : SBC sued over deleted screenplay

joeld42
07-08-2006, 01:04 PM
What: An aspiring writer sues SBC (now AT&T) after a technician installing a DSL link allegedly deleted three screenplays from his computer.

When: A California appeals court ruled on July 5.

Outcome: Screenwriter basically gets no money.

Link to full story (http://news.com.com/Police+blotter+SBC+sued+over+deleted+screenplay/2100-1028_3-6091457.html?tag=nefd.top)

Wow... but somehow I just don't have any sympathy for this guy, he's got a script that he thinks is worth 2.7m but he didn't bother to print it out, or register it with the WGA (who can retrieve it from the registry)?

English Dave
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
And it appears the German producer who was allegedly going to pay him 2.7 million for the scripts didn't have any copies either. How odd.

odocoileus
07-09-2006, 01:48 PM
How hard is it to install a DSL link? I've got the SBC wireless DSL, installed it myself from the kit they sent.

Regular backups are the best strategy for anything important.

Per ED and jd42, how did the Deutsche producer consider buying the scripts if he didn't have electronic or hard copies?

Joe Unidos
07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
how did the Deutsche producer consider buying the scripts if he didn't have electronic or hard copies?

Looks like Uwe Boll is trying to finance his next picture with lawsuit money, now that the German tax breaks have dried up!

:rolling:

odocoileus
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Looks like Uwe Boll is trying to finance his next picture with lawsuit money, now that the German tax breaks have dried up!

Only the good die young. Uwe Boll is forever.

curious
07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
The guy sounds like a complete idiot and surely an idiot couldn't write three screenplays worth that much. Could also be trying a lame attempt at scamming the DSL company.