PDA

View Full Version : Transition from College to the Industry

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Can someone elaborate on how one goes from getting a college major in film or screenwriting etc and, having no previous business experience but this, gets a job working as a writer's assistant or something that will throw him into the industry?

This process sounds like it's either too easy or extremely hard. It could be me in no time, so any advice would be very useful.:)

Joaneasley
07-17-2006, 09:11 AM
You may have a degree, but so does everybody else, so be prepared to start at the bottom.

It sometime helps if you can do a free internship first to have something to put on your resume and to make contacts. People you work for for free are often more willing to hire you or recommend you once you've proven yourself.

If you can do an industry internship for someplace where you are while you're still in college, that will give you something to put on your resume.

If you have computer/phone/secretarial skills, those are all helpful for landing an entry level job with a studio, prodco or agency.

If you have production skills and are willing to volunteer on people's film shoots, that, too, can get you some experience and help you meet people.

So can being a volunteer for groups like Scriptwriters Network. The more people who know, like and respect you and know what you're looking for, the more likely they are to think of you when they hear of an opportunity.

If you can't get a job in the industry at first, you can wait tables at night and do a lot of volunteering, applying and networking until you land an industry job.

Buzz2074
07-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Look to your right. Look to your left. By the end of the semester one of those people won't be here any more.

It may be classic college folklore, but it's true in life and in LA.

I can tell you a story of a guy who went right from the graduating class of Harvard to staff writing on SNL in NYC.

Or I can tell you about a guy who graduated film school, put everything on a moving truck, arrived on Sunset Boulevard in LA, got a gun shoved in his face, never unloaded the moving truck and went back to the midwest for grad school.

Both are true, neither story can be replicated by you. It's gonna be one contact, one step at a time.

And not all steps pay off. For every guy who got a writers' assistant job and got bumped up to staff, you'll probably find ten guys who spent 2 years driving scripts around and dropping rewrites in Moesha's mailbox in Glendale at 2:AM-- and ultimately got no advancement.

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Should I be empowered?

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
I like to say that whatever you do, you have to start at the bottom, so you may as well do something you love!

Are you in LA? If so, I'd get a hold of the UTA joblist stat. Also, if you still can, do an internship while still in school. Entry-level assistant jobs are everywhere and there's always new ones opening up.

I'd love to start at the bottom, that's how you begin to meet new people, I'm just worried about being at the bottom forever or never advancing because nobody cares who I am. btw I'm in Atlanta, so I'm probably going to get to work on some indie and shorts.

rockridesva
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd love to start at the bottom, that's how you begin to meet new people, I'm just worried about being at the bottom forever or never advancing because nobody cares who I am. btw I'm in Atlanta, so I'm probably going to get to work on some indie and shorts.

However that is the WRONG attitude to go into this first step. You have to be excited about it, ready to give 100% and ready to receive 0% back... at first. Trust me, you are one of a million who will attempt the EXACT SAME THING you're doing, with the exact same background. And I'm not trying to smash dreams, I'm just trying to give you a reality check so when that first wave of "oh $hit, I'm sinking" comes on, you're ready for it, and you have what it takes to climb over it, and move on a stronger person. But don't for a second think it's going to be easy, and don't for a second think you'll get the respect out of the fences.

The people who make it in this town are the ones that can take the most punches and keep on fighting. And if you're ready to step into the ring, then be ready to take a hit.

ALSO, Don't get too carried away with working on Indy films in ATL, etc. The reality is, things of that level don't hold much to any value in Hollywood. It's a different league and few/any people will give two $hits if you worked on some no budget flick in Georgia. So, save up, hit the town with a good CV and get ready to take that first hit...

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
However that is the WRONG attitude to go into this first step. You have to be excited about it, ready to give 100% and ready to receive 0% back... at first. Trust me, you are one of a million who will attempt the EXACT SAME THING you're doing, with the exact same background. And I'm not trying to smash dreams, I'm just trying to give you a reality check so when that first wave of "oh $hit, I'm sinking" comes on, you're ready for it, and you have what it takes to climb over it, and move on a stronger person. But don't for a second think it's going to be easy, and don't for a second think you'll get the respect out of the fences.

The people who make it in this town are the ones that can take the most punches and keep on fighting. And if you're ready to step into the ring, then be ready to take a hit.

ALSO, Don't get too carried away with working on Indy films in ATL, etc. The reality is, things of that level don't hold much to any value in Hollywood. It's a different league and few/any people will give two $hits if you worked on some no budget flick in Georgia. So, save up, hit the town with a good CV and get ready to take that first hit...

All very good points, thanks:)

J off course
07-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Is Michael Stipe's production company in Atlanta or Athens?
Certainly that is no shabby company to have on your resume if you can
get some internship or assistent work from them?

Also, lots of hiphop artists who are also in filmmaking have homes
and perhaps offices there in Atlanta?

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Is Michael Stipe's production company in Atlanta or Athens?
Certainly that is no shabby company to have on your resume if you can
get some internship or assistent work from them?

Also, lots of hiphop artists who are also in filmmaking have homes
and perhaps offices there in Atlanta?

Googling Michael Stipe, I'm having trouble finding anything on his Prod.Co., but that'd be awesome to find or get a place at. Anybody got this info, that'd be appreciated.

J off course
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Stephen-

I believe it's called "Single Cell" He also had a production company
called "C-Hundred" or was affiliated with it in some way.

phatgirl
07-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Try this:
Single Cell Pictures
1016 North Palm Avenue,
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 360-7600

Stephen Wegmann
07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
props:)

Bellabell
07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Stephen,

This may help or not, but half the camera operators we contracted at the news station were shooting films on the side. The news helped them through the dry spells. They also worked concerts, city festivals... My point being, most of them started out as grips and a camera operator took them under their wing and they started making contacts that way. It's really not that hard to get into production through your local tv stations.

Stephen Wegmann
07-18-2006, 11:10 AM
That's what I was thinking. Everybody needs a camera operator, and that technical field has always interested me, aside from writing. The news could be a good place to start. That's for the advice:)