PDA

View Full Version : How do I capitalize on this opportunity???

The Critic
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey all,

I have been writing for a few years. I have written one screenplay, several treatments/outlines for others, two unscripted non fiction shows treatments (which I am shopping) and have been writing a series of "lessons learned" essays I would like to combine for a book.

My mentor, a 3x published author and former LA publicist, has invited me to her LA book launch for a book she co-authored with an A-list celebrity. The book consists of stories from him and his other A-List celebrity friends. Proceeds will go to charity.

This party is a huge opportunity for me and I need to know the do's and dont's for softly pitching my work. As you know there will be publishers, editors, agents and the celebs themselves.

My mentor believes my essay series has a lot of potential and thought I would get a lot out of being at this party.

I need some real advise about making the write;-) impression. This party could change this Colorado Girls life. Please help me not make an ass out of myself.

Any advise would be great.

The Critic

Hamboogul
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Ask your mentor before the party that you'd like introductions to friends and industry folks who might/can help you.

Wear a hip outfit that reveals your best assets.

Enjoy the party. Have fun. People want to be around fun people.

jimjimgrande
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I need some real advise about making the write;-) impression.

My advice to you would be to avoid any and all puns.

And as Ham says, look hot and have a good time.

The Critic
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
As soon as I pressed send I knew I would get **** over that cutesy comment.

BROUGHCUT
07-27-2006, 02:54 PM
do people want to be around writers at parties? (serious question, lol).

this is just an idea... I encourage people to shoot it down in flames....

See if you can get the script into some places beforehand. Then, instead of saying "I'm a writer--can I send you my script??" you can segue into "actually, I have a script with your agent/agency/prodco/ "... if they ask what it's about and express interest, then you can follow up with the company, do a bit of spinning, and try to bump the read to a higher level... "I met so and so last night he he says he's looking forward to reading the script I sent you...".

Some of those celebs may have their own prodcos, worth a shot.

Just an idea. Doesn't matter what level you get the script in at, it will just make the angle of attack a little less acute if you manage to strike up conversation....

This may not be the best idea, and I appreciate getting scripts in places isn't the easiest thing in the world....

Qazworld
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
when i asked how to attach actors to scripts, KC gave this great reply:

Fly to Cannes...next year of course. It's over tomorrow. I've just come back. I'm "out" to a big internationally known UK name right now. The script was already out to his agent. I read the trades yesterday morning and saw that the actor was in Cannes. To my utter surprise I was having a meeting on one of the hotel terraces and this same actor sits down right next to me!

Seize the day and all that...so I introduced myself, told him that the script was with his agent, he shakes my hand and tells me he's looking forward to reading it and I leave my biz card. I then phone his agent straight away and tell her that I met the actor and he's "looking forward to reading the script".

About an hour later I meet Sydney Pollack in a lift, just me and him, and again had a brief exchange. The same evening William Dafoe was sitting right next to me by the pool of the Majestic and on Wednesday night I was having a drink at the Hotel du Cap and Keanu Reeves appears to join with Richard Linklater for a pre-dinner drink.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=21271

if you can pull something like this off, maybe you should try it at the party.

odriftwood
07-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Get straight in your own mind what you have to pitch. Are these vague ideas? Notions? Solidly written screenplay? Sitcom pilot? Whatever, get them down and then dive into the room and adjust for each person you meet. Most conversations of this sort go like this:

You: Nice to meet you.
VIP: Same here. So how did you get in here.
You: Friend of the writer.
VIP: Really? What do you do?
You: I'm a writer also.
VIP: So everyone else in this godforsaken town. I kid. What are you working on?
You: Pitch away.

As long as you're not a close talker or creepy you can play on variations of the above but be prepared. Pitch to sell.

pooks
07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Some people may disagree with this, but this is my advice.

Do as others have suggested. If someone asks, be ready to pitch.

However.

Don't pitch or push your writing unless they show interest. Yes, say you're a screenwriter. But if they don't ask, just (as has been said) be cool, be fun, enjoy the party. That will take you farther than trying to pitch your script to anybody you can pigeonhole (not that you would do that).

Archive
07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I find it's always good to get people to start talking about themselves, and what they like in movies, and how they relate to the business. If you find a way for the two of you to help each other, and make money off each other's talents and work, then let them know - everyone likes mutually beneficial situations, and everyone likes talking about themselves.

This kind of approach allows you to relate the benefits of your project to them specifically - and if you find out there's nothing in it for them, it lets you make a new friend and contact without them feeling used.

The Critic
07-31-2006, 01:38 PM
c