PDA

View Full Version : What is expected on a "polish"?

ylekot43
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
What exactly is expected on a polish?

Hasil Adkins
07-28-2006, 09:29 AM
A polish can be changes in dialogue, narrative, or action, but no significant changes in plot, story line, or characters.

BROUGHCUT
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Why would they need to pay to have spellling and grammar corrected. Think about it for a moment.

It's literally 50% of a rewrite. So, for example, a polish could cover rewriting all the dialogue.

Here's a singularly unhelpful definition from the MBA:

The term “rewrite” means the writing of significant changes in
plot, story line, or interrelationship of characters in a
screenplay. “Polish,” as used herein, means the writing of
changes in dialogue, narration or action, but not including a
rewrite.

BROUGHCUT
07-28-2006, 09:34 AM
woops sorry.... xpost

funny I was going to say wait for Hasil but didn't want to drag him in unwilling. :D

(I should add that Hasil's post is very helpful... I was just MBA-bashing above. :D )

Joe Unidos
07-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Well, that's all been pretty-well covered. A grammar and spelling check is not a polish, by anyone's definition. Ever. In fact, as an assignment it doesn't exist, as referenced above.

I would add, I guess, that certain writers have certain "polish" strengths --when you hire Mamet for a polish, you're hiring him mostly to punch up the dialogue, for example.

Hasil Adkins
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Hasil, I'm assuming you meant "narration" too, because "narrative" seems like it could go more into plot & storyline changes etc.Good point. That'll teach me to paraphrase instead of cut and paste.

BROUGHCUT
07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
but no significant changes in plot, story line, or characters.

I expect this is a more accurate answer than the MBA definition... I am sure that "narrative" polishes are a regular occurrence, notwithstanding the MBA .

I am sure writers have been coerced into doing a "page one polish", that wouldn't surprise me, either.