PDA

View Full Version : Do you read your reviews?

Totiwos
07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Do you read your reviews? Why or why not?

Jake Schuster
07-29-2006, 03:21 PM
As a novelist I always read the first line and the last line, which in a review are always the most important (apart from the length in column inches, of course;)).

A first line is the one that's usually written right after the reviewer finishes reading; the last one comes after the time it takes to write the piece, and a seasoned reviewer know that this is the line that, if positive, will be quoted in ads and on book jackets.

rockridesva
07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
I'll tell you I don't... then immediately click on the link. I think it's good to read the reviews, but even better to take them with a grain of salt. Reviews are just one person's opinion, and no matter how hard you try you're not going to win over everybody.

Jake Schuster
07-30-2006, 06:41 AM
My mentor (who was a published writer of some note) always told me that the tone of the review didn't matter; what did was whether they spelled your name correctly.:o

jimjimgrande
07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
I am compelled to read the user comments on imdb.

And everybody else who's had a movie made does too even if they say they don't.

Who wouldn't?

Hamboogul
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm still waiting to see my name on imdb.com.

Totiwos
07-31-2006, 11:00 PM
I've been through an emotional carnival ride about reviews. Hunting for press, delighted when it's positive, worried when it is less than glowing ("That performance was adequate? Could it be that the lines weren't good enough?") Maybe it's because I'm new to it. I don't like the idea of hanging my self-esteem on someone else's opinion, generally speaking, but I'm also terribly drawn to it.

pconsidine
08-01-2006, 08:02 AM
That's just the artist's temperament. We all want validation for the work we've done. Maybe you could try to focus more on the fact that enough people liked your work to actually get it made. After all, that's worth something, too.

Totiwos
08-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Believe me, I'm thrilled. I'm also delighted that they like it enough to want to make another film with me.

Question about IMDB: The film itself is listed, and the movie poster and a still is up, but none of the cast or crew names (including me) are there. My name's on the post, so I'm sort of there, but I'm not actually listed. Anybody know what the deal is with that? I've seen other listings where it's just the film and no individuals.

qualitycontrol
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Believe me, I'm thrilled. I'm also delighted that they like it enough to want to make another film with me.

Question about IMDB: The film itself is listed, and the movie poster and a still is up, but none of the cast or crew names (including me) are there. My name's on the post, so I'm sort of there, but I'm not actually listed. Anybody know what the deal is with that? I've seen other listings where it's just the film and no individuals.

Usually if it is a new movie, it could be still being listed. Most times the title goes up and names slowly get plugged in or go on later. I noticed this with the last film I worked on.

Totiwos
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Name's up now, so that must have been the case. It's kinda cool to be able to imdb myself.

Totiwos
08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Sixes and the One Eyed King. We just premiered at the DancesWithFilms festival in Los Angeles. Several distributors have expressed interest, and I have my fingers crossed.

writer0825
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I know you mean with regard to reading reviews of your movies -- from a writer's perspective (I think that's what you mean), but on a similar subject, I quite frankly have never gotten why people put so much stock in reviews, with regard to deciding if they want to go see a movie or not. Everyone's taste is different. Just because a critic/reviewer doesn't like something doesn't mean you won't. Why would their opinion be more important? Because they went to college? So, so did it a lot of people. Because they studied cinema in college? So, I study cinema too, everytime I go to the movies. (lol) I feel like, if it looks good to you, go see it. :bounce: