PDA

View Full Version : Register a pitch with the WGA?

ylekot43
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
When you are pitching somethin that you haven't written the script to yet, what do you guys usually register to protect you idea?

scrub 9x
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I would write a detailed synopsis or outline and register that.

velysai
08-10-2006, 12:04 AM
You can't register an idea. Just the execution of an idea, the script.

ylekot43
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks. Specifically, I'm worried about protecting a high concept title. Maybe I'll just hold onto it until the script is finished.:)

Filmwonk
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks. Specifically, I'm worried about protecting a high concept title. Maybe I'll just hold onto it until the script is finished.:)

So what is your title, exactly? Hmmmm??? :eek:

I recently registered a treatment for the first time, having only registered completed scripts before. I did this because I knew I would be sharing a printed copy of the treatment with a friend in the business, and I thought the concept was awfully clever at the time. I had no worries about my friend -- it was simply the idea that the idea was going "out into the world" that motivated me. Also, the knowledge that I had actually ponied up a few sheckels to register the treatment cemented my determination to write the script.

BROUGHCUT
08-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Titles can't be protected indefinitely, but can be controlled (technically by lone writers for a few hundred bucks, but NOT in practice). Search this board for MPAA title registration bureau. No hwd studio can unilaterally use a particular title for a US theatrical distribution.

Poison is correct of course, but pitches/ideas are protected by contract law and unless you have a tape recording of the meeting, a rep at the meeting, or a rep the exec doesn't want to **** with, you're pissing in the wind with a WGA'd/coyrighted synopsis or short treatment.

ylekot43
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Titles can't be protected indefinitely, but can be controlled (technically by lone writers for a few hundred bucks, but NOT in practice). Search this board for MPAA title registration bureau. No hwd studio can unilaterally use a particular title for a US theatrical distribution.

Poison is correct of course, but pitches/ideas are protected by contract law and unless you have a tape recording of the meeting, a rep at the meeting, or a rep the exec doesn't want to **** with, you're pissing in the wind with a WGA'd/coyrighted synopsis or short treatment.

Thanks Brough. Helpful as always. Thanks people.