PDA

View Full Version : New Member, Please help!

Scoretzoff
08-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Hello, my name is Serge Scoretzoff. I am 26 years old. I am new to this business and am currently working on my first movie screenplay. Can anyone please tell me what I can do at such an early stage to increase my chances of achieving positive results in my endeavors. Should i just focus on writing or should i already think about agents, management comps, and connections. I am not starting from zero. When I was younger i've read several scripts and have always wanted to write movies. It's only recently that i am able to dedicate time and resources to commit to this seriously. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!!!!

doubler83
08-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Hi Serge,

Firstly, welcome to the board.

Take some time to look around the various areas of the site. This place is a wealth of information and you'll probably find anything you need if you spend some time looking around.

I'll let others with more experience in the business advise you on what to do to further yourself through the life of a screenwriter. But, if I could offer any advice, it would be to just WRITE. Write, write, write. And then write some more.

Good luck!!

Fortean
08-11-2006, 04:26 AM
Concentrate on your writing, (rather than marketing your screenplay, at least until you've got a good one, or two, ready). If you're ready for some criticism, you might consider posting a few pages at the "Script Pages" forum.

Scoretzoff
08-11-2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks very much for the welcome. Just a follow-up question. Am i ok as far as age goes? :) am i getting into this at the right time or on the late side?
Thanks

odriftwood
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Am i ok as far as age goes? :) am i getting into this at the right time or on the late side?

Actually you just missed the cut off but because you're so polite, we'll let you in... just don't tell any of your friends.;)

DMNY
08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello, my name is Serge Scoretzoff. I am 26 years old. I am new to this business and am currently working on my first movie screenplay.
God, that just made me feel old. Welcome to DD.
Don't fret too close to Natalie Portman or any of my Generals and you will be doing fine.

Yes. The others are right. WRITE. WRITE...WRITE!!!

Cesahr
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I didn't start until I was 33 so...it's never too late :)
Welcome and best of luck.

Scoretzoff
08-12-2006, 04:02 AM
:) Thank you all.....i know it was a silly question.
I've managed to read perhaps 1/20th of the forum's material and found it extremely helpful!
Some of the things that stood out for me thus far: 1) character development, and 2) budget considerations. I was a bit put off by the later one. It seems that i only think up big-budget script ideas with crazy special effects and landscapes. Realistically I know that if i am not friends with Spielberg or Howard, it would be kind of hard to see my work developed J but thatís where my creativity is taking meÖ..to the expensive side!

DeeRCee
08-12-2006, 10:10 AM
If i thought about 2) budget considerations I wouldn't be able to write. Write what interests you. Write a movie that you would pay to see.

Jcorona
08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Welcome, Scoretzoff. I'd focus on my writing and then seek feedback.

I personally always think about budget when writing. It's definitely a challenge but it forces me to be creative and I think (hope) it adds to my chances in landing an agent, manager or ultimately selling my work.

The trick for me is to visually show my characters in interesting situations that forces them to take even more interesting journeys that lead to even more interesting outcomes as I try to keep them in motion as much as possible as they struggle to reach their goals within these few locations. I also try to write dialogue that doesn't screw up the story. These things then hopefully make the reader not realize that the story's only taking place in two, three or four locations until after he's read the story, unless he's asked you beforehand. ;)

Again, this is just me. I got nothin' against big budgets and definitely nothin' against writing what you know.

You ever see someone sellin' a great set of golf clubs dirt cheap but he can't sell 'em because the people he offers them to don't golf or want those types of clubs? That's the same with scripts. After you write your masterpiece, you gotta find it its home (agent, manager or buyer who wants it). There's probably someone out there looking for those exact clubs (script), and I can't help but think that when that person is found, he'd be more willing to fork out $400.00 (script budget) for the clubs rather than a grand for 'em.

You have no idea how long it took me to write this post. :mad:

Trying to make sense on this board ain't easy. I hate'chu guys.

Paz,

Corona

Totiwos
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Welcome, and good luck. I was older than you are now when I joined the site.

Do you watch many films with a lower budget? If not, it could be that the reason you're thinking only of high-budget ideas is that you're not familiar with the other options. I've developed a greater appreciation for good, lower-budget stories as I've experienced more of them.

Writing can help you develop confidence in your own ability to tell a story, so definitely write. There's a standing thread at the top of basics called resources and recommendations, I believe. Good advice there.

Jcorona
08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Advice? Listen to Coronoa. He's got that elusive 'it factor' we call "the funny" in this town.
:p

Please please listen to writerly. One of the sharpest people on these boards. :D

Corona

Scoretzoff
08-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Honestly, I didnít expect you all to be so forthcoming and welcoming! Thanks for your advices and guidance. Actually, with your words you inspired me even more to pursue what I really want to do: write movies.
I am glad that somebody liked my name J I had nothing to do with it, but thanks anyway J
I will definitely study the site more so not to ask any redundant questions. But, one more if I may? On average, how long does it take you all to write a script? Because when people talk about writing 5-10 scripts I imagine a time span measured in years, not months.
Thanks again, to all!

Jcorona
08-13-2006, 12:04 AM
It takes me about 3-4 months to write a script. Creating my concept's world, its twists, its characters, their arcs, etc. takes up most of the beginning.

Listen to Coronoa. He's got that elusive 'it factor' we call "the funny" in this town.

And again, please listen to whatever writerly says.

Corona

Scoretzoff
08-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Ok, Jcorona, I will listen to all of you JÖ.I was also wondering, is there a place on this forum where youíve discussed your accomplishments; I mean script sales. Or do you all prefer to keep this information confidential?

Thanks writerly, boski, totiwos, doubler83, fortean, odriftwood, DMNY, cesahr, DeeRCee

Jcorona
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd rather not bring up that I haven't sold anything yet.

Thank you,

Corona

Scoretzoff
08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
It's all about the process i guess :)

scrub 9x
08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Stick the first script in a drawer.

Start writing your second script. :)

Scoretzoff
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Stick the first script in a drawer.

Start writing your second script. :)

I was afraid youíre gonna say that :) to be honest I am already getting attached to my first script and while I already have an outline for my second, I know that I wonít be as nurturing and as emotional about it. I guess all first things are like that. So, how many scripts do I have to write to have any hope of a sale? 10-20?:confused: